Need help with breed and gender???

Yes. This is an Oriental gamefowl cockerel. Shamo or aseel (for me it's sort of the same thing, but it also isn't) sounds about right. But yes, a fighting bird. Not neglected or abused, most of our lines do that. They pluck the down right off so the bird looks a little bald until it grows its normal feathering. He's a nice looking male
Crazy.

Is there non third world places where cockfighting is still permitted?

Crazy.

Is there non third world places where cockfighting is still permitted?

I don't really know, but I doubt it. I think it's still legal in very few countries. Doesn't stop people from fighting them though. But unfortunately the birds get a really bad rep because of it, when they're amazing animals. And gorgeous on a whole other level imo
20221222_145310.jpg

Thank you very much for all your help. Can't wait to see the handsome fellow he is going to grow up to be! Is there anything special we need to know about caring for Asil cockrels? We got some all fowl food for him that was recommended by our local feed store. But do they have any special needs or requirements?

And so smart and friendly too! As you can tell, I really love gamefowl :p
Yes he seems so sweet and inquisitive when we go over to visit him. And I love the sounds that he makes. It's almost like a cooing. I will sit with him and talk to him and he walks around and cooing and watching me.

Thank you very much for all your help. Can't wait to see the handsome fellow he is going to grow up to be! Is there anything special we need to know about caring for Asil cockrels? We got some all fowl food for him that was recommended by our local feed store. But do they have any special needs or requirements?

There are some pointers. First off, aseel take longer to mature. Mine crow at 7 months, and I don't place them with hens until they're 9. One other thing. Aseel fight to kill. I've seen them leaving non-game males alive, but I wouldn't risk it. Their instincts start early, so most keep them separate for most of their juvenile lives. As for people, he'll be the best bird you've ever had. Oh. They also love meat:p

There are some pointers. First off, aseel take longer to mature. Mine crow at 7 months, and I don't place them with hens until they're 9. One other thing. Aseel fight to kill. I've seen them leaving non-game males alive, but I wouldn't risk it. Their instincts start early, so most keep them separate for most of their juvenile lives. As for people, he'll be the best bird you've ever had. Oh. They also love meat:p
Thank you. Do you have any guesses on how old he might be? He came running into our apartment complex one evening about a week ago. We thought he belonged to a neighbor but they said they weren't missing any. We didn't want him anything to happen to him. So we caught him and brought him to my sister in laws because she has chickens and ducks. Will he do okay by himself or do they need to be around others once they are old enough? And did you say they love meat?

Thank you. Do you have any guesses on how old he might be? He came running into our apartment complex one evening about a week ago. We thought he belonged to a neighbor but they said they weren't missing any. We didn't want him anything to happen to him. So we caught him and brought him to my sister in laws because she has chickens and ducks. Will he do okay by himself or do they need to be around others once they are old enough? And did you say they love meat?

My guess is 2 months old, give or take. You can maybe keep some pullets with him, for now he'll be OK. If he doesn't like company, he'll let you know. And yes, they like meat. All chickens do, but my aseel get most/all of it from my food scraps

Back
Top Bottom