Need help with brooder/grow out pen

havi

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si
11 Years
Mar 23, 2008
Waco, Texas
Okay Im about at my wits end trying to figure out a way to build a new brooder. Any help would greatly be appreciated! Pictures would be even better.
big_smile.png

Here are some of the things I need it to have:

1. Easy to use
2. Something that will be able to hold anywhere from 8 chicks to 45 chicks.
3. Be easy to put away. I dont have alot of room to store bigger items, so it would be great if I could easily take it apart and put it together whenever I need it.
4. Something thats big enough/tall enough for them to be able to grow out a little, before I put them in a bigger coop outside.
5. I have little to no building skills.
6. Not too heavy.
7. Easy to reach in and clean.

I built mine out of old luan closet doors. I nailed four doors together to make a square. I used chicken wire, some 2x2's and some various scrap to make a top. It gave me a 44 sq ft brooder. It is in my basement sitting on a concrete floor so I did not make a bottom for it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=251344

This thread has a pic of last years set up. I stored it over the winter by taking the sides apart and storing everything leaning against a wall.

I went to walmart & bought 4 large storage containers. Line them up side by side & use hardware cloth to cover the back half of all 4 then use the lids to cover the remaining half.

Place 1 brooder light ($8 each at walmart) over each storage container on the wire mesh side.

done.

When you are done you can store all of your stuff in the storage containers you have used.

The lids need to be in place when the birds get bigger because they will eventually be able to jump out.

Otherwise the only thing you will need is food & water in each container. I use mason jars with the small feeders/waterers you can pick up for $1.50 each.

I actually started out with 2 storage containers, but I have 26 birds & the larger birds tended to trample the silkies so I seperated them into 4.

Once they are feathered out I plan to move them out to the garage.

Back
Top Bottom