Need help with calcium

prncs13

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 22, 2008
I mix grit and calcium chips in the food but it seems from one of the eggs that one chick isn't eating or absorbing it. Is there a calcium supplement that can be added to water? When I grab the egg from the box it just crushes in my hand. Not sure which chick it is.
Thanks.
Michelle

I'm having a similar problem. I feed the layena feed, scratch, and chicken scraps. They have oyster shell available, and still I get cracked eggs. Any help appreciated!

Here's a list of foods rich in calcium.
Molasses can cause diarrhea in chickens, and some people do not feed their chickens citrus.

Imp- and I have no idea why #14 is blank

1.Spinach
2.Turnip greens
3.Mustard greens
4.Collard greens
5.Blackstrap molasses
6.Swiss chard
7.Yogurt
8.Kale
9.Mozzarella cheese
10.Milk (goat's milk and cow's milk)
11.Basil, thyme, dill seed, cinnamon, and peppermint leaves
12.Romaine lettuce
13.Rhubarb
15.Broccoli
16.Sesame seeds
17.Fennel
18.Cabbage
19.Summer squash
20.Green beans
21.Garlic
22.Tofu
23.Brussel sprouts
24.Oranges
25.Asparagus
26.Crimini mushrooms

ETA- Here's a link to some info.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publi...ndbook/16/thinshelled-eggs-and-shellless-eggs

Last edited:
I use oyster shell for my hens I mix some in their fees and also have a separate container full of it so they can eat as much as they need .
I think you should try that
give them eat free choice and see what happens , also trow some on the floor so they can scratch

Grind up all of the egg shells after zapping them in the microwave.

Feed these to your chickens also.

Just be certain you have neutralized any bacteria on the shells and have made certain they no longer look like eggs as you don't want the chickens to get a bad idea.

We just crush all the shells and add some greens and do a little nuking, the girls gobble it up. Oh if your chickens have a vitamin D deficiency they'll have trouble processing the calcium.

About 15 seconds if they are alone, about 1 to 2 minutes if there are large amounts of other things mixed in.

We also have made a nice warm mess out of various greens, egg shells, rice, left over soup or stews, etc ... that we heat up on the stove.

It also doesn't last long.

Most bacteria can't survive microwaving even for a short time.

I had an awful issue with soft shells with my hens. I fed them oyster shells and crushed eggs shells. Nothing worked. I got to where I was even adding tums ot their water. Nothing! Soft, squishy shells.

Then i got to thinking.....they did fine until I had to bring them inside the goat barn/dog kennel for the winter. (their coop was destroyed in an early storm). Once inside, they couldn't free range any more because of the dogs.

Calcium needs Vit D to be used by the body. I started adding Vit D3 pills to their water. Within a week I had nice hard shells again. I add a single Vit D pill to their water once a day. Once they are outside free ranging this summer I will stop, because they should make their own when they have access to the sun again.

Anyway, this worked for me, but it may not work for others. My girls were stuck in a barn with only artificial lighting.

Back
Top Bottom