Need help with Corid dosage

Help! I have a sick BO 9 wk chick: Huddling, stays mostly in the same spot in the coop all day, all her feathers ruffed up and her eyes mostly closed, Won't go out with her sisters all day and the new big rooster (whose poops are greenish diarhea)

Sara ( the sick one ) is usually feisty. Now she just sits on my arm limply. I haven't seen her poops. Drove the 50 mile round trip to get Corid, but it's 9.6% bovine solution.( probably coccicdiosis from the new roooster??? ) The guy at the coop store also sold me some tetracycline powder. I thought to just start with Corid but there is no poulty dose......all percentage and by weight and such. The label says: 9.6% Oral Solution. He also told me to treat all 19 of them.

Help! I feel like I have the tools now but don't know how to use them

Thanks,
Cheryl the newbie

Corid 9.6% solution- that's the right stuff.

Take 9.5 ml and put it in a gallon of water. Mix it, and give that to them as their only water. Change solution daily. Give for 5 days. Repeat course if coccidiosis signs come back (have had to do this myself).
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/86975/corid-dosing
see pips and peeps post #2 on this thread

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/434486/dosage-for-corid-9-6-oral-solution
here's another (post #2 in this thread)

I gave you the threads above as corroboration of the dosage I am mentioning. I have given this dose myself and had excellent results. Death can occur within 24 hours so don't delay treatment.

I would hold off on the tetracycline for now for the 9 week old, and re-evaluate the status after Corid. Those signs sound like cocci.

Adult chickens usually don't succumb to coccidiosis unless they are immunocompromised. I would consider checking the poo of the new roo for worms...check for mites or anything that would make him ill. Green diarrhea can be from bacterial infections or anything where they are not consuming enough food. You might watch said roo carefully for additional signs of illness. I personally would separate him as he is new and apparently ill. I don't give antibiotics for just diarrhea personally (corid isn't an antibiotic).

Keep in mind that I'm not a vet LOL but am just telling you what I have done. Don't administer vitamins at the same time as giving Corid.

Last edited:
Thanks for the good direction, ChickensAreSweet. I've given them the "Coridified" water now.

I have eighteen 9 wk girls (BO's) and a 5 month old Roo (Maran) He does not seem sick at all. Not sure how I can isolate him as I have no set-up for that. Unless I put him in the plastic dog kennel.....boy, wouldn't he just love that! It's a medium to large size kennel.

Two girls are puffy and lethargic now. I'm worried that Sara ( the sicker one ) won't go to the water. Maybe I should put those two in the kennel, since they're smaller and would have each other's comapny. Then I could keep an eye on their intake of food and water. Just thinking 'out loud'.

One of the BYC educators said 7 days instead of 5. Would that be for the big guy?

Thanks again

~Cheryl

Thanks for the good direction, ChickensAreSweet. I've given them the "Coridified" water now.

I have eighteen 9 wk girls (BO's) and a 5 month old Roo (Maran) He does not seem sick at all. Not sure how I can isolate him as I have no set-up for that. Unless I put him in the plastic dog kennel.....boy, wouldn't he just love that! It's a medium to large size kennel.

Two girls are puffy and lethargic now. I'm worried that Sara ( the sicker one ) won't go to the water. Maybe I should put those two in the kennel, since they're smaller and would have each other's comapny. Then I could keep an eye on their intake of food and water. Just thinking 'out loud'.

One of the BYC educators said 7 days instead of 5. Would that be for the big guy?

Thanks again

~Cheryl
You can treat for 7 days IF necessary.

Another question. Being a pest about this tonite.

The ''Duramycin" which is apparently 'Tetracycline' was the original thing the guy at the coop suggested. I spied the Corid and asked for that. But then I also took the a/b with me as well. I don't see this one on the list. In the event the chickies ended up with a secondary infection...say respiratory....would this be an acceptable antibiotic?

Not really. If you decide to treat something respiratory, provided you can determine it is NOT fungal in nature (antibiotics make those worse), Tylan would be preferred. Tetracycline is very weak stuff.

I would never treat contagious respiratory stuff because most of those diseases leave them carriers, like a Typhoid Mary in your flock, some being herpes type viruses. ( I would separate symptomatic birds, determine if they are contagious, have pneumonia or a fungal illness, then if contagious, euthanize).

Unless you have testing, you can't know if they have bacterial or viral, and as you know, antibiotics do not treat viruses anyway. Even if you treat, that does not change the fact that they remain carriers. Mycoplasmosis/CRD is the most common disease of backyard flocks and it is bacterial and leaves carriers, plus can be passed down through the egg to the chick.

Last edited:
Gotcha. IOW....overkill can kill?

No, Corid is a thiamine blocker and thus they aren't receiving their thiamine during the treatment. If you kept them on it forever, they might get a thiamine deficiency (is my understanding of this medication). I consider Corid so essential to chick-rearing that I won't have chicks around without a bottle in the cabinet on hand just in case! But I wouldn't be concerned about their thiamine status when you are battling coccidiosis, as the coccidiosis is life-threatening. All the chickens need to be treated with the Corid, as the poo they ingest from the sick ones will have huge doses of cocci in them.

In terms of your roo, I am very glad that he doesn't seem sick except for his diarrhea. If you will have a look at this website and scroll down to "droppings," you will see that green poo means that for some reason he isn't eating properly:
http://www.poultry.msstate.edu/extension/pdf/diseases_poultry_diagnosis_symptoms.pdf

Hence, hopefully it will go away on its own, and I have no other advice to give regarding him at the moment due to my knowledge base not being large enough. You are correct in that your little ones who aren't drinking aren't going to receive enough medication unless you syringe a bit alongside their beaks allowing them to drink the drops down themselves. (Not pouring it into the mouth, as this can cause them to aspirate and die immediately.) You would syringe the diluted Corid and not give them straight Corid.

Last edited:
Well, I may have to do that..the syringe thing, that is. I have not seen little Sarah drinking at all today. Life is fragile for these little ones. Roo's (Boaz is his name..I know, I know!) poo is still green but it is formed for the first time in a number of days.

Should I keep them in the coop and out of the run while they are on this treatment?

Well, I may have to do that..the syringe thing, that is. I have not seen little Sarah drinking at all today. Life is fragile for these little ones. Roo's (Boaz is his name..I know, I know!) poo is still green but it is formed for the first time in a number of days.

Should I keep them in the coop and out of the run while they are on this treatment?

They will eat each other's poos in the run or in the coop. I hope they get better soon!

Have taken your advice. Sarah is taking small amounts of water(with the diluted Gorid) from me and has perked up somewhat today. She is "on the nods" a lot. She just can't seem to stay awake for long but she has gotten a bit of her feistiness back. The cat was not amused that I was dropper-feeding a bird in her presence .I did it the way you had suggested...just a small drop at a time at the side of her beak...and then she would take sips from the little puddle in the crook of my bare arm. I have never seen my cat look so completely disgusted.

Everybody''s poo looks better...not so wet and watery.

We watch the roo poo closely.

Feelin' hopeful and adding prayers to the Corid.

Cheryl

Back
Top Bottom