Need help with feeding a special needs duck!

Elizabeth berry

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2017
I have a duck that has a deformed bill and I've been feeding with a tube and I'm not sure how much or how often to feed her help me please!

Attachments

Chickenlover2017

Songster
May 24, 2017
Awe poor little thing feed her with a tube is a good idea what do you feed her you should feed her twice a day I think or see a vet because it could end very bad.

Elizabeth berry

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2017
I feed her 20% crumble just like the other ducks there 8-9 weeks old now and was doing great till about 2 weeks ago and everything just went down from there but her bill was white as snow when I started as of today it's a pretty pink! I just want to make sure she's getting what she needs

casportpony

Enter the 2021 BYC Calendar Contest! Link in sig!
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 24, 2012
I feed her 20% crumble just like the other ducks there 8-9 weeks old now and was doing great till about 2 weeks ago and everything just went down from there but her bill was white as snow when I started as of today it's a pretty pink! I just want to make sure she's getting what she needs
Welcome to BYC! How much does she weigh?

Elizabeth berry

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2017
Sorry I was thinking about my other ducks she's only about 1-2 pounds and I've been giving about 4-5 oz as much as she can stand till she acts full!

casportpony

Enter the 2021 BYC Calendar Contest! Link in sig!
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 24, 2012
Sorry I was thinking about my other ducks she's only about 1-2 pounds and I've been giving about 4-5 oz as much as she can stand till she acts full!
If you're able to get that much in her twice a day I would say you're giving enough. :D Tube feeding is part art, part science. As long as her crop clears overnight, and she doesn't lose weight, I'd say you're okay.

I found this link helpful:
https://lafeber.com/vet/tube-feeding-birds/

Elizabeth berry

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2017
The thing with her crop is she only has about 1/2 of one side left the bill has grown so badly up its closed them

Top Bottom