Need help with fencing/netting options on this canopy frame...

cjweaver13

Chirping
Jun 18, 2021
Northeast Pennsylvania
I have 16 chicks that are a ways from being outside, but I need to finish the run for them regardless. The property you may or may not be able to tell is in the woods and very uneven. Also, it sits on so much rock it is near impossible to bury any fence or set posts. I have thought about everything from framing out a wood frame to buying a dog kennel, but all are expensive right now and would still require a lot of retro fitting. Today I was able to score a free frame that used to be a portable garage type structure, and lucky it give the birds their 10 sq/ft each and also butts against the shed/coop so I don't have to chop or re-fab the doors to open them.

My dilemma now is how to secure it. This will be a daytime only run and they'll be secured inside at night, but I still want reasonable safety for daytime. There are definitely raccoons and hawks around, as well as probably weasels and fox, although I am working to trap the raccoons.

I want to stay budget conscious though if possible, so wrapping the entire thing with hardware cloth is a no go. I was wondering if 2x4 14ga welded wire is sufficient with some additional netting up to the first 2ft or so so nothing can reach in easily, or if even the large hole welded wire up to 6 ft followed by netting on top for avian predators would work? Any creative solutions welcome, as I'll also need to let it "drape" over the side and either weigh it down or run electric wire in the near future.

IMG_7709.jpg

The 2x4 welded wire and netting would work against BoP but is insufficient against weasels and raccoons. You'd need at least some hardware cloth around the bottom few feet to prevent reach-ins from raccoons, and to prevent weasels from simply walking in (though they can still climb I believe?)

An apron would also be advisable to prevent digging but you might be able to get away with using the welded wire for that (won't stop rodents but should stop bigger predators).

Welcome to BYC. Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters. :)

Your coop site looks very well-chosen -- there ought to be excellent drainage and the natural shade is splendid.

The frame is a great find. You'll need to find a means of firmly staking it to make sure that wind can't flip it. You'll also need an anti-dig skirt.

When I was comparing options for different wires for my anti-dig skirting I came up against 2 obstacles in the search for less expensive substitute for 1/2" hardware cloth.

1. Anything larger than 1" squares will let in weasels, rats, and rat snakes big enough to be dangerous to the chickens rather than in danger from the chickens.

2. 1" wire is not any less expensive (and much harder to find). :(

I hesitate to recommend chicken wire for anything, but if by "bird netting" you mean that thin plastic stuff used to protect fruit trees you'd be better off using chicken wire over the top section. Birds of prey crash right through the thin stuff that's meant only to keep songbirds from stealing fruit.

You might also throw a tarp over at least part of the top netting, whatever type you choose to use so that your chickens can have a sheltered area on rainy days.

You can use heavy-duty, UV-resistant zipties to fasten the wire to the pipes, though you'll have to inspect them periodically to make sure that they haven't degraded.

The most affordable 1/2" hardware cloth we could find was the 48", 19-gauge stuff in 100-foot rolls from Tractor Supply. The price at Lowes and Home Depot was simply ridiculous and TSC beat Amazon by about $20-30.

Welcome to BYC. Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters. :)

Your coop site looks very well-chosen -- there ought to be excellent drainage and the natural shade is splendid....

Thanks for the very detailed response. I’m in northeast Pennsylvania, so we have the typical Northeast climate to have to deal with. I already have a tarp ready to go exactly like you said. I’m hoping the trees will provide plenty of shade during the summer, has almost no sun hits the property right there. But in the winter when the leaves are gone it will allow natural sunlight to warm everything up just a little bit.

Maybe I miss spoke, when I was referring to netting I’m at regular poultry netting or chicken wire for just the top part that would go over the roof. I’ll definitely have to price around some hardware cloth. I have a $50 gift card to Home Depot that I can use towards some thing, but I already know I’m looking at at least a couple hundred dollars in wire all together.

Thanks for the very detailed response. I’m in northeast Pennsylvania, so we have the typical Northeast climate to have to deal with. I already have a tarp ready to go exactly like you said. I’m hoping the trees will provide plenty of shade during the summer, has almost no sun hits the property right there. But in the winter when the leaves are gone it will allow natural sunlight to warm everything up just a little bit.

Maybe I miss spoke, when I was referring to netting I’m at regular poultry netting or chicken wire for just the top part that would go over the roof. I’ll definitely have to price around some hardware cloth. I have a $50 gift card to Home Depot that I can use towards some thing, but I already know I’m looking at at least a couple hundred dollars in wire all together.

This is what we bought, except that 2 weeks ago they had 100-foot rolls available and today they don't. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...-x-50-ft-w-hardware-cloth-1-2-in?cm_vc=-10005

I've found 2" x 4" wire to be very effective against skunks, possum, raccoons, coyotes, dogs, bobcats, and such. Weasels, snakes, mice, and rats can get through. Baby chicks can walk through too so watch that. In Pennsylvania I don't think you have any snakes big enough to threaten grown chickens unless you have some tiny bantams but they can eat eggs and chicks. If you spend enough money you can make it safe against everything but that can take a lot of money. And you have to make sure the coop is to the same standard.

Are you familiar with an apron to protect against digging predators? If not, we can help. In rocky uneven ground an apron can be very efficient.

My run is 2x4 welded wire with chicken wire along the bottom 18" or so. more to keep baby chicks in than other things out. It does stop raccoons from reaching in and adult chickens from sticking their heads out where a predator might get to them. Mine has a solid roof. I had the free material after a 70 mph straight line wind took the roof off of a poorly built shed, the previous owner used short smooth nails to attach the shed roof. My apron is either leftover hardware cloth or 2x4 wiring, attached with J-Clips or hog rings.

I think your basic construction will be fairly easy. The problems come in the joints. Corners and doors/gates are often weak points. I'd have to think about it and look at it for a while to figure out how you attach that to your coop. I think that is where your main issues will come from. Looks really promising. Good luck.

I've found 2" x 4" wire to be very effective against skunks, possum, raccoons, coyotes, dogs, bobcats, and such. Weasels, snakes, mice, and rats can get through. Baby chicks can walk through too so w...

Thanks. I just got done digging some post holes and didn't even make it a foot before rocks made me have to stop, so an apron is definitely needed. I looked it up and think I get the general concept...leave about 8-12 inches overhang "drape" over the sides and secure it down somehow. I actually have a bunch of 8x8 railroad ties I can put directly on top. I am working on how to button up the joints as well against the coop. For that I will most likely use hardware cloth and some screws with washers to be safe.

We use a carport canopy frame also. I will start by saying we live in the high mountains and our predators are almost exclusively bear. So we don't need to do things that lots of others would need to do...

We have chainlink on the lower half of the frame, then wire above that. There is also wire on the top, but we have covered it with metal roofing, due to our snow fall quantity. Our ground is clay, with large rock under the surface. Post holes are not an easy chore here. We did put 2x4's along the perimeter and set and secured the frame on them.

Attachments

• 20200912_101430.jpg
    20200912_101430.jpg
    579.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200912_101501.jpg
    20200912_101501.jpg
    753.6 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom