Need help with first time hatch (update)

ekemily

Songster
9 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Fairhope, AL
My eggs started pipping this morning. I noticed that some pipped facing downwards, towards the bottom of the incubator. Should I roll them over so that the pip is facing upwards? Thanks for any help!

ep.gif
!UPDATE!
One of my babies has hatched! He is knocking around all of the other eggs that have pipped.
barnie.gif
Day 21 is not officially until Tuesday night. Is that too long to leave him/her in there?
When can I take him out?
hu.gif

Last edited:
No, Don't Open the Bator! Sit on Your Hands!

Ok, now that that is taken care of. It can take 24 hours (sometimes more, often less) from pip to hatch. It doesn't matter if the pip is toward the floor, the chick will still be able to zip. Just wait until one hatches and gets all rested up and then starts playing egg soccer with its slower hatch mates--that will drive you crazy, but you still shouldn't open the bator.
love.gif
jumpy.gif
love.gif

Last edited:
You sound just like me when I just had my first hatch last weekend! I had the same questions! My chicks are now happy and healthy at 2-3 days old!

I had 16 eggs, and now I have 13 babies with one still to hatch. It's the egg in my avatar. I see it moving.... maybe it's just a late bloomer. I'm not giving up on it yet. One of my eggs pipped and then died. The baby was deformed. One of my babies came out, made it to the brooder, then looked like it was having difficulty. It died the second day of life. It look like it was "gummed up" when I looked in the beak. I had 100% fertility, which was neat.
Thank you all for your help! Here is the pic of the first scoundrel to make it out and start knocking everyone around. It's a cuckoo marans(roo) x buff rock. I guess it's a roo.
He's the first chick ever to hatch
50621_img_3050.jpg

Later, all fluffed up
50621_img_3070.jpg

Back
Top Bottom