Need help with gift basket ideas for surgery

greeneggsnham

Songster
9 Years
Mar 4, 2010
Southeast Missouri
One of my friends is having surgery on her sinus cavities next wed. and I wanted to make her a gift "survival" basket. She is always doing anything she can to help everyone no matter who it is or who they are. She is one of the nicest people I know but she constantly gets sinus infections and the only way to fix the problem is with surgery. They are going to break her nose in 2 places and re align it, widen the cavities and drill something around her sinuses. After all that they are going to put stints in her nose to hold it in place for a week so it will set. I want to make her a basket with diffrent things, some for real and some as jokes, to help her through it and the recovery. One of the things I have gotten her are a pair of those fake nose eyeglasses to "hide" her real one till it heals. I need help with other things to put in there though because I can't really think of anything else. I need to be able to go get this stuff on sat. so anyhelp is appreciated! Thanks in advance.

My husband had that surgery done. It is not fun.

What about an audio book or something she can listen to? Concentrating on a book or movie might be hard. Maybe a tumbler with a straw so she doesn't bump her face drinking from a glass? Some facial ice packs that fit over the eyes. My husband had a black eye after his surgery and that helped him alot.

Other than that, I just made sure he took his pain pills on time.

There wasn't much I wanted, other than being left alone. Could you come wash the dishes or take the kids for the afternoon? A basket might be better appreciated when she feel better. Roses..things she can smell, but she won't smell anything for a while. Be there to assist. it is absolutely jaw dropping amazing the things you drop when you can't lower you head and pick them up. I was stunned by how quickly the shower got gross. No else noticed.
you are a nice friend.

I do baskets for friends having babies while in the hospital. Usually we pack some snacks and gum but that would not work for her. We usually also include face wipes, hand lotions, chap stick ( hospitals have such dry air), magazines ( like for my mom who is a flower nut we got backyard project types) , and notebook and pencil ( always something you think of while laying there and you forget by the time you get home).

Since she will have swelling maybe one of those fun icepacks they have for kids. I am sure she will appreciate anything you bring her.

this is a very painful surgery, I just wanted to be left alone. Agree with help when she gets home. Although it was very heartwarming to wake up to one of my close friends quietly sitting in a chair.
Micah

Thanks guys I am already going to be watching her boy the day of her surgery and won't be able to be up there with her. I need things she can have while at the hospital and maybe some things for the ride home. She is going to be having the surgery in a hospital four hours away so I won't be able to get up there even though I want to be able to. Thats why I wanted to make the basket, so she could have some things to comfort her.

The worst part of my entire ordeal was the ride home! FOUR HOURS! pillows! A barf bucket! and...someone who is completely whine proof for a driver.
fl.gif
for her. four hours. *sigh* poor thing.

What about playing it up in a humorous but thoughtful way? Nose oriented stuff, like aromatherapy beads, a sinus eye mask, a relaxation CD, tissues, etc. A little something to say "I'm thinking of your poor nose".
smile.png

Good magazines, some great smelling lotion, chocolate(always), breath mints, a hand mirror, a bean/rice bag neck pillow for the ride home~she can use this later for heat or cooling at her neck/head and it will help keep her head stabilized during the ride home.

You are a great friend, BTW!!!
big_smile.png

Honestly I lean towards the funny - a whoppie cushion. Kleenex and some fake snot. Surrounded by the cookies she loves, a good book, some really silly candies, like skittles (TASTE the rainbow), etc. Being a friend includes being able to make the person in pain have a really good laugh. Let me know if you want some dirty jokes.

Back
Top Bottom