Need help with hatching my baby duck!

Kiara23

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2022
Ok so I am new to hatching ducks. I tried hatching two to test my new incubator one hatched very well on March 15 and is doing very good. But the other one is not and it’s four days later . she finally peeped as I think it’s called. She made a hole two days ago after we poked a tiny hole in a day before because we thought it was a dead. But she has not made any progress since making her own hole . Shes chirping a lot and trying to move but seems to not be able to get out. I upped the humidity but still nothing. Was told to see if I could very carefully peel the shell a tiny bit because the inner skin felt dry but started to bleed a little bit. And now I’m freaking out thinking I hurt her by hitting a blood vessel. I don’t know what to do at this point. You can see her little beak and she’s still moving like crazy. Should I just leave her alone ?? I’m very concerned I love my babies

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 7
If it's still actively bleeding, you can apply some pressure with a clean dry paper towel and place her back in the incubator. If she's that far behind the other one, you might have a cool spot in the incubator. Do you have an alternate calibrated thermometer inside the incubator? Sometimes the readout on the incubator isn't correct, so it's always advised to use another calibrated thermometer, same with a hydrometer.

If it's still actively bleeding, you can apply some pressure with a clean dry paper towel and place her back in the incubator. If she's that far behind the other one, you might have a cool spot in the incubator. Do you have an alternate calibrated thermometer inside the incubator? Sometimes the readout on the incubator isn't correct, so it's always advised to use another calibrated thermometer, same with a hydrometer.
No I do not when I got the incubator the only gage it came with was the humidity as it had a built in temperature reading I will be sure to get another one in the future

Yes, if you got blood, she's not ready yet. Leaving her in the incubator is the best thing for now 💜 What kind of duckling are you hatching?
I’m honestly not 100% I really should of got more info on them before attempting I got them from a friend the one female kinda looked like an Indian runner duck she stands tall and kinda looks skinny and the males I have, have greenish heads and lil Afro’s

No I do not when I got the incubator the only gage it came with was the humidity as it had a built in temperature reading I will be sure to get another one in the future
It's OK. Next time it would be a good idea to pick one up, get it calibrated and put in the incubator before setting eggs. Hopefully it's just a cool spot in there. It's almost 2am here and I'm going to be going to bed soon, but I check in right before I fall asleep. That article has all of the information and it's extremely well written. I was even able to understand while in a crisis with a hatch. It lead me through and I had a successful hatch. So I always read over it every time ever since and it's always lead me successfully. I certainly don't mind helping and I'm sure there are many others that don't mind helping either.

I’m honestly not 100% I really should of got more info on them before attempting I got them from a friend the one female kinda looked like an Indian runner duck she stands tall and kinda looks skinny and the males I have, have greenish heads and lil Afro’s
OK. So it sounds like the drake was a Crested duck. I'm sure the duckling will be adorable 💜

I’m honestly not 100% I really should of got more info on them before attempting I got them from a friend the one female kinda looked like an Indian runner duck she stands tall and kinda looks skinny and the males I have, have greenish
It's OK. Next time it would be a good idea to pick one up, get it calibrated and put in the incubator before setting eggs. Hopefully it's just a cool spot in there. It's almost 2am here and I'm going to be going to bed soon, but I check in right before I fall asleep. That article has all of the information and it's extremely well written. I was even able to understand while in a crisis with a hatch. It lead me through and I had a successful hatch. So I always read over it every time ever since and it's always lead me successfully. I certainly don't mind helping and I'm sure there are many others that don't mind helping either.
I really appreciate it I love all animals and just want them to be safe and healthy thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom