Need help with malpositioned pigeon chick!!

Pics
Prior to the invention of nitrogen fertilizers pigeon poop was so highly prized that fortified dovecotes were devised to prevent its theft. They also produced eggs and squabs for eating.
This link tells more about dovecotes.:)
http://www.milcombe.com/dovecote/
I'm sure they can be very valuable producers of useful things needed.....but...
This guy did not harvest the fertilizer, nor eat squab nor pigeon eggs.
Kinda like alot/most the folks on BYC keep chickens as pets/surrogate 'children' rather than food sources.

Prior to the invention of nitrogen fertilizers pigeon poop was so highly prized that fortified dovecotes were devised to prevent its theft. They also produced eggs and squabs for eating.
This link tells more about dovecotes.:)
http://www.milcombe.com/dovecote/

eta my neighbor just picked up my 5 gal bucketful for his compost pile.:lol:
Thats pretty neat! I new about them but didn't really know exactly what their pourpose was.. :)
Glad you have a source for getting rid of the poop! :D

I'm sure they can be very valuable producers of useful things needed.....but...
This guy did not harvest the fertilizer, nor eat squab nor pigeon eggs.
Kinda like alot/most the folks on BYC keep chickens as pets/surrogate 'children' rather than food sources.
Everything here has its pourpose, even the pony lol... my duck and goose flock are just now growing but they are intended for meat and eggs. Same with my chickens. I've never eaten pigeon so not sure about them, they will probably be my pets, but I will deffinetly be utilizing the poop! :lau

Hey all :) thought i would update as not been on for a few days! My little pigeo is doing really well, didnt realise how much he has grown until i looked back at pictures! He is so crazy and lively and squeaks like mad lol! Only problem is i noticed he looked like he was developing splayed legs. I thought his bedding was ok but his legs must have been slipping, so i have changed that and hopefully his legs will correct themselves when he builds up a bit of strength in them! :D sorry i couldnt get very good pictures!!

Attachments

• 20180817_004437.jpg
    20180817_004437.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20180817_004509.jpg
    20180817_004509.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 12
Hey all :) thought i would update as not been on for a few days! My little pigeo is doing really well, didnt realise how much he has grown until i looked back at pictures! He is so crazy and lively and squeaks like mad lol! Only problem is i noticed he looked like he was developing splayed legs. I thought his bedding was ok but his legs must have been slipping, so i have changed that and hopefully his legs will correct themselves when he builds up a bit of strength in them! :D sorry i couldnt get very good pictures!!
Awww.. he's doin so good and so are you momma! :love

I wont be around much this wk. We are on vacation in Florida with dd3 and her dh and our granddaughter. I'll check in when I can tho...:fl:frow

@Fields Mountain Farm yes hes doing well, cant believe how much he is growing!! Aw that sounds amazing, hope you have a great time :)

@biophiliac yes i tried some string but he wasnt keen on that so the new bedding i made into a little cup shape so his legs cant slide and already looks like it has worked! His legs arent bending in when he tries to stand anymore and when i take him out he is sitting alot better so im pretty sure hes sorted :) also can see some pin feathers coming through!!

@Fields Mountain Farm yes hes doing well, cant believe how much he is growing!! Aw that sounds amazing, hope you have a great time :)

@biophiliac yes i tried some string but he wasnt keen on that so the new bedding i made into a little cup shape so his legs cant slide and already looks like it has worked! His legs arent bending in when he tries to stand anymore and when i take him out he is sitting alot better so im pretty sure hes sorted :) also can see some pin feathers coming through!!

At first when they try to stand their big bodies are just too heavy for their legs. Its cool to see them learning to use their legs to walk. Once or twice I was briefly concerned about splayed leg but it wasn't.:)

eta - I think he's still too young to stand and walk, that happens after they're covered in feathers.

Back
Top Bottom