Need help with my dog

Wow, I'm definitely impressed! That's quite a lot for a youngster. That's one of the real advantages of getting an "older" puppy. Their brains are ready to process and retain a lot more than tiny babies. Keep up the great work ... and don't worry that "Stay" is taking a bit longer. That's a really tough one, and not just for puppies and dogs. I have trouble it myself ... and I'm supposed to be a grown-up!
Lol I get that lmao I am not to worried about stay as long as he knows back up or leave it but it would be nice to know

What do I know just had a few house dogs.However I had many loyal catch dogs.Everyone has the way they do things.Some approaches take way longer.End results the main factor.The house dogs were retired catch dogs However.Yes tone of your voice gives them a hint of what youdon't like but action with it always remembered.Believe it or not your dogs will show your character .Cheers

Hmm ok I will get him tested I thought with a uti there was blood involved. Anyway it's weird to cause it's almost clear does that just mean hes hydrated or that it's running right through him. If he did have a water bowl I would probably just assume he spilled it. See I have never had a problem either
I did adopt a dog once who had a UTI. There was no blood. She peed every fifteen minutes or something crazy. It was pretty obvious but when I had been to look at her a couple days before adopting her she seemed perfectly fine. I actually didn't keep her (not because she had a UTI but because that was the tip of the iceberg with her health issues). I had a lab once that was sort of trained to pee inside as a puppy and she took ages to housebreak but she wouldn't mess her kennel. Its hard for me to imagine the circumstances under which a dog would be comfortable doing that regularly.

I did adopt a dog once who had a UTI. There was no blood. She peed every fifteen minutes or something crazy. It was pretty obvious but when I had been to look at her a couple days before adopting her she seemed perfectly fine. I actually didn't keep her (not because she had a UTI but because that was the tip of the iceberg with her health issues). I had a lab once that was sort of trained to pee inside as a puppy and she took ages to housebreak but she wouldn't mess her kennel. Its hard for me to imagine the circumstances under which a dog would be comfortable doing that regularly.
Me too it's not large so he literally sits in in it. Dont get me wrong hes kinda dumb lol but I dont think he is that dumb. And I clean it right away and give home a bath with dawn dish soap. I want try and make his place tighter but I just dont know if it would help. I have a zoom meeting with a behavioral trainer. That does great so I am hoping that she will have good advice

Me too it's not large so he literally sits in in it. Dont get me wrong hes kinda dumb lol but I dont think he is that dumb.
Maybe desperate rather than dumb? If he just cannot hold it, he has no choice but to go where he is.

If he has a bigger space, does he move away from the puddle or does he sit in it then too? That can help tell whether he does not care, or whether he just cannot hold it.

We trained our weimaraner to ring a bell by the patio door every time he has to go out. I would grab his paw, help him ring it, then say "touch". Then let him out. He picked it up really quickly. That sound travels all over the house and even wakes me up so he can be let out when he needs to. We convinced my sister to do that with her great dane puppy and he picked it up quickly too. Two years later both dogs still do it. It's a great way for them to communicate with us
Yes out golden learned it in 3 days.

What are you thinking? Just cause I am curious he run and moves and the veterinarian said that is joints and and everything look good so I am just wondering what I need to ask my vet and or look for
He's young at least. You stand a better chance of fixing this t because of that. Personally I get the feeling he's healthy but a quick check for a UTI won't hurt.
I really think the issue is that the dogs natural instincts to not sit in their own filth has been basically overridden out of necessity. It's very hard to house break a dog when you can't harness their natural denning instincts.
Usually you start with a small space like a kennel so they hold it for a short time because they don't want to mess themselves. And you slowly increase the time and expand they space you expect them not to mess in
First a kennel, then a small room, then eventually they see the whole house as their den. First for an hour, then for a little more and a little more, until they can hold it for a few hours.
I really think getting with a trainer will be your best bet. Like I said, you aren't starting from scratch. The dog has already been trained that they have to sit in their filth. You have to untrain that and then retrain.

Also, this is a big thing. You can correct then for potting In the house if you catch them in the act. Just a quick "ahah! Not that!" And usher them outside. Punishing a dog after the fact does not work. Dogs don't have human logic. If you come upon an accident after the fact and you fuss at them all you did is fuss at them for going to the bathroom (making it more difficult to get them to go in front of you outside) NOT for going to the bathroom in the house. They simply don't have that logic.

I worked as a dog trainer for years and I could give a 1 hour seminar on potty training lol. I could go on and on. So I think getting with a trainer who can walk you through all of this will just be much less of a headache than trying to do this on your own. You've clearly potty trained dogs before without issue. This is a different case than normal.

Sorry for your loss.I don't know if you have fenced in property or not
If not fencing is a good investment.I had a friend that raised gamefowl als:hmmnce the neighbors dog came and killed his fowl.He took video of it when he came up In the yard and caught the dog.He called animal control and made a complaint .He pursued into court. He had paperwork showing battle cross fowl advertised in the gamecock magazine.The fowl were listed 200 bucks each.Long story short judge ordered dog owner to pay for 40.My math says 10 K. The feller owned the fowl said the dog owner had tears come to their eyes big as horse turds.

Ok but will that teach him that thays what he does? Or will it just help in the meantime?
I am not sure I understand the question. If you are asking if the male wraps will help housebreak him, the answer is no. It will just save your floors. My little Sammy had a stroke and was incontinent for a few weeks. I kept the male wraps on him and removed them when I put him out to pee.

Back
Top Bottom