Need help with Nystatin dose for 5 lb. Hen with sinus canker...

1 true Phoenix

Songster
6 Years
Jul 15, 2017
Hello ... My 5 lb. Polish hen Phyllis has been battling sinus canker on and off for awhile now. Metronidazole has worked in the past but needed to try alternate med. to prevent resistance. I tried acitified copper sulfate water for 5 days and that didn't seem to help much at all so I was hoping maybe the Nystatin would help but for some reason my brain didn't want to work with on figuring the dose. I basically need the most effective way to dose this to treat sinus canker. Please help!

I attached a pic of the kind of Nystatin I have.

Attachments

• IMG_20220104_230848430.jpg
    IMG_20220104_230848430.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 4
Sinus canker is caused by Protozoa so I don't think an antifungal like Nystatin will be an effective treatment.

The Metronidazole worked in the past, so if it's re-occuring, then re-treat with the Metronidazole.

As mentioned by @dawg53 in your other thread, there is no cure and birds are carriers for life, so it's not uncommon for birds to present with infection again and again.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hen-with-recurring-sinus-canker.1504318/

Thank you for your reply :) I know that she'll be a carrier for life, I'm just trying to find the best way to manage her outbreaks and not cause resistance to metronidazole. She has been moved into the house to avoid the stress of the cold temps and to eliminate stress from potentially being picked on by other chickens and minimize exposure. In the past I was giving her the metronidazole ½ tablet 1x/day for 5 days... Does that sound like the correct dose for her size?

My 5 lb. Polish hen Phyllis
In the past I was giving her the metronidazole ½ tablet 1x/day for 5 days... Does that sound like the correct dose for her size?
I tried acitified copper sulfate water for 5 days
She's 5 pounds so the once daily dose of Metronidazole would 250mg for 5-7 days (50mg per pound of weight).

Instructions for using the ACS was on your other thread. It's to be given for 3 days in a row once a month, not 5. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hen-with-recurring-sinus-canker.1504318/post-25195242

Hope you can get the meds into her and she starts feeling better.

Back
Top Bottom