NEED HELP WITH POULTS THAT CAN'T LEARN TO WALK

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by timbofarms, Jun 16, 2008.

1. timbofarms

timbofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Humboldt/West TN
    My turkey's hatched out yesterday but 4 out of 5 cant walk they just have they're legs stretched out behind them and scoot around. What can i do? i've got them out in my lap and hands tring to make them put weight on ther're legs but i don't think thats working to well anyone have any suggestions

2. eggz4sale

eggz4sale Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2008
    McLeod, Tx
    take a bandaid, wrap the one of the sticky ends around one leg, wrap the other side around the other leg. make sure the legs are held as close together as the width of the non-sticky gauze pad in the middle. leave this "brace" on until it wears off. they should be able to get their feet under them and start walking within a few days
    hope this helps

3. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

This is called splay or spraddle legs. Google this. What type of bedding do you have? Make sure it is not slippery, like newspaper. The above post is correct. This will work. Doing this while they are just hatched will allow them to grow properly, but you need to do this correctly.

Try this link.

http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.htm

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by