1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help with pumpkin pie!!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by chicks4kids, Oct 25, 2009.

1. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Here is the recipe for a "from scratch" pie I am using...

1. Bake a mini-basketball size pumpkin in oven until done. -OK, did that

2. Then add 1 can of evaporated milk (not sweetened condensed), 3/4 cup sugar, 2 eggs, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, 1/2 tsp ground cloves and little grating of nutmeg. Mix well. If you don’t have all of those spices on hand you can substitute with 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice.- OK, did that.

My problem is that it appears WAY TOO RUNNY! I grabbed a can of manufactured pumpkin in a can and read its ingredients and it uses condensed milk...[​IMG]

So, how can I thicken it up?? Should I use a little flour, corn starch? It's really runny and not at all like the consistency of a pie (pre-cooked) from pumpkin in a can. Help!??! It smells soooo yummy-- I hate to have it wasted!! And I can't imagine how it's possibly going to cook to a pumpkin pie consistency... [​IMG]

2. chickenvirgin

chickenvirgin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Blaine Lake, SK
    Make sure that when you use fresh pumpkin and not canned that you put the recipe through a blender or food processor to make it nice and smooth and it will thicken up in the oven, it cooks like a custard. It will be done when you can put a knife in and it comes out clean.[​IMG]

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
  4. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Quote:Her pie recipe is the recipe I am using!! LOL! I made my pie crust, blended the ingredients per chickenvirgin and I now have 24 minutes left in the oven, and it's thickening up quite well, looks real good, and smells wonderful!! I can't wait!!

Thanks so much!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by