Need help with sexing 4 w/o Buff Wyandottes

DeneeNae

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2018
Northern Arizona
I recently bought what I though were 2 Buff Wyandotte pullets from a hatchery and now I'm not so sure both are pullets. They are both about 4 weeks old.

One (Siri) started to grow a comb and the other one hasn't (Alexa). So now I'm not sure. I read you can't really tell at that age, but is the comb a sign already that it's a roo? I had chicks last year that I swore were all pullets, but one day one of them gargled out a crow early in the morning.... So is there a way to tell now before we get too attached? We kept the rooster from last year and named him Bill... so now we don't need another guy.

Siri
1520009352304-869690845.jpg

Alexa
IMG_20180302_095333149.jpg

First one is a cockerel. Second is a pullet. And the first one is not a Buff Wyandotte "wrong comb". Can't see the comb on the second one. They should be rose combed if they were Wyandottes.
Thanksyou so much! Well now I'm not sure what they are now! They were labeled as Wyandottes, so I guess only time will tell! The second one doesn't have a comb coming out yet.

Its common for hatchery birds to have wrong combs. As they don't typically breed to standard they don't cull out incorrect traits in their breeders. Its especially common in Wyandottes.

Thank you all so much. I am not too disappointed with Siri's funny comb, just more about the fact that he's boy.... Oh well... I plan to get 4 more pullets soon so hopefully they will all be girls.

Back
Top Bottom