Need help with sick chick, please...videos included

texaschickmom

Songster
10 Years
Nov 4, 2009
Lindale, TX
This chick hatched Friday and has had distressed breathing since then. The hatch was normal, no assistance needed, all other chicks are fine. I've put Duramycin-10 in the water and am "helping" it drink. I'm including a couple of videos...
and

First time putting videos in post, so hope this works. Looking forward to any other suggestions to help this little guy/gal. Thanks!

First off, you need to make some wet chick feed mash and help getting her to eat. Just rub it on her beak. She needs to eat. If she's spent 3 days like that, maybe she'll make it, but she does need to eat and drink something. I use a tspoon. I have never put food in their mouth with a syringe.

I hate to say it, but it doesn't look good. Because it's breathing through it's mouth like that, aspiration of forced/assisted drinking and eating is a real risk, but it does need to be hydrated. I've had some luck tube feeding chicks, but it's not something I would recommend to the average chicken owner.

Thank you both for your help. The little chick died about an hour ago. I would not have been comfortable with tube feeding. I'm afraid I'd do more damage than good. Its lungs were definitely compromised from the start. Thanks again, BYC friends!

Thank you both for your help. The little chick died about an hour ago. I would not have been comfortable with tube feeding. I'm afraid I'd do more damage than good. Its lungs were definitely compromised from the start. Thanks again, BYC friends!
I'm sorry you lost it. Mouth breathing is often a sign that the dying process has started, so I don't think that even the most experienced person could have saved your chick. I have seen that sort of mouth breathing in all types of poultry, cats, kittens and horses, it never seems to end well. Again, sorry for your loss.

Quote: I'm sorry too.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom