need help with sick chicken

birdman55

Crowing
6 Years
Jul 22, 2014
michigan
My Coop
My Coop
thanks Kathy for the chit chat...hope everything goes well with hawk....here is some pics

see what I mean with the eye lids.....she does open them very quick to see whats going on but then shuts them immediately and then the head starts to go down...she is warm to the tough....(next to the fireplace helps)....and she was just fine just today she just went boom im sick...hope the pics help...

well I took her out of the small cage and she started walking around clucking...then I caught her and gave her about 25ml of a warm sugar solution...here are some pics

this is her poo forget the dirty carpet

I don't see any worms in it...it was greenish and white...liquidy.....I did try and feed her some feed by putting some in my hand and then placing it by her mouth and she opened and closed her mouth...I also did this with the sugar solution and got some in her mouth she raised her head and swallowed....but I will redo and post some pics now that I am used to doing this...its really not that hard...to tube feed...just gotta take your time...make sure there is no resistance...and make sure the neck is extended so It can go down with ease..she is resting now....

I have had 40-50 chickens for the last three years....they get butchered at about year to year and a half...I always seem to just loose two chickens every winter..and they seem fine weight wise...but just drop and I find them in the morning...this girl was just standing out in the cold while the others were walking around...she actually came up to me so I picked her up and brought her into the house and put her by the warm fireplace.....she just kinda nods off...any help on what it could be...she was on her last day of worming with safeguard...I put the safeguard in the water for all the birds to drink...I did find roundworms in the poop from one of the 40 chickens....after day one...hope this helps

Last edited:
Try to get 25-30ml of fluids every 30-60 minutes, I really think that's going to help. If you think she might have coccidiosis, go ahead and put 0.5 ml of your Corid liquid in her next tubing.

-Kathy

well just got done tubing for a second time....im bringing out the digital scale and weighing her...hope the scale can read that much...anyways I dose her with .5cc of corid and 25ml of sugar vitamin solution...she did poop three times now..all looking about the same as the picture...tomorrow I will try and get some food in her....so well see what happens...
pics

make shift tube feeder...thanks for the info Kathy....hope she comes around....

well we saved her everyone...you got a grown man all emotional now...shes eating and drinking all on her own....thank you so much for the fast response...I love my birds...
pics

her eyes are open and shes more spunky...looks like shes feeling a lot better...awwww....

I have read online that when people worm there birds sometimes some of the birds are effected in a bad way because the worms dont pass thru and they don't absorb in the body as protein...im not sure some people thought that is was coicidis lol not sure the spelling...but I didn't see any intestinal sheddings or blood...even in the poop in the morning it went from liquid to not liquid so I new that it passed thru at that point...I think the cold just got ahold of her and shut her system down...she is going to town right now in the dog pen...just scratching away....clucking saying let me out...once I got her body temp warm and that first 25ml down thru tube....she still was not acting right...and then two hours later I did the same...this is what I used for the mix...she still was not acting right but in the morning she was trying to just right out of the box...that I had next to the fireplace....then I took her out and put her in the dog kennel and put in some straw...and she just started to eat and drink...I did put sugar solution with vitamins and .5cc corid...and will leave her in the house for a week....and rethink about putting her outside....

two cups water....tablespoon of sugar....pinch of electrolytes/vitamins....little bit of corn syrup...and alittle bit of molasses....mixed it up...making sure the water was warm to touch....and brought up 25 ml of fluid the first time....the second time I did the same....except when I drew up the 25ml of solution....I added at the end .5cc of corid.....ofcourse each time I made new solution...I did use a 1/.4inch aquarium line...that I made the edge of the tube that would be going down here throat rounded.....with a lighter...I put it in my mouth to see if it was sharp to the roof of my mouth to make sure she wouldn't get hurt....

there is a point when you do this that the chicken will open the jaw wider allowing you to do this process if the bird doesn't do this then don't try and they will squirm around not letting you....she first wouldn't let me even open her mouth....but when I put alittle warm water in her mouth she knew what I was doing at that point and just took the tube...make sure to fully extend the neck and not to pinch the front part of the neck...
this has been a great learning experience...
thanks everyone so much...

Back
Top Bottom