Need help with sick hen

Your hen is NOT ill I'm telling you certainly! Just keep her cool and you don't NEED a vet because she is not ill! You could just leave them to scrabble or you could put the hen separate or just separate him? Just trying to help but try and believe me....... you do not need a vet unless she's (you think) ill!
The puffing up and clucking just means "Stay away.....!!! I want chicks....!" And its very normal to be bald on her belly. (it helps to incubate the eggs and warm the babies)
smile.png
She is not going to die! Its very normal to go broody.... but if you really think she is ill....then....
When she goes into her nesting box just put her out give her water and food and keep her cool...........she will be fine!
Sorry for being harsh (rude?) I'm just trying to tell you she is fine so you don't need worry!
roll.png
hu.gif
xxx

-Ya'el

I didn't take your comments as rude! But my vet did come by. He thinks the rooster 'only has eyes for her' as he put it. He's wearing her out. I started really worrying when her comb and waddle started turning more pink that it's normal red color. I've put a large dog kennel in the run and, when possible, lock the rooster in there to give the hens a break. Problem is several follow him inside, so it's not a great arrangement but it's the best I can do for now. It's brutally hot here in Central Texas and I cannot find anyone to build me a larger coop. The one I bought when I started this project was cute, easy to put together and said for 6-8 chickens--NOT! It's way to small and has no ventilation. My husband drilled some holes in it to help but they've taken to just sitting the the yard at night. I have avian netting on the top and landscaping wire buried under the run, so they are pretty safe. I would just love to pay someone to do this for me! It's so hopping here, you can't get people for many services. Too many other people needing them, paying more. Frustrated. But thanks for taking the time to respond. BTW, the vet did take a blood sample but said if the lab fee was high he wouldn't send it. He also came here free of charge. I love my vet!

The blood work showed her white cell count up, meaning she's under some stress...that obvious stress being Festus who won't leave her alone. I working on adding on a separate area just for him, a few times a week to give all the hens a break. He has worn her back feathers completely off. This won't happen overnight as I'm having trouble finding someone to actually DO the work, as I cannot do it myself. Have a guy coming by Monday to give a bid. She does seem to be doing better, and when I'm out there and he jumps on her, I break it up. He's confused and she happy. Thanks for all the concern. I do think part of her issue was broodiness which, IF I can ever get a decent coop built, I will allow her 3-4 babies and hopefully things will progress happily from there. As it is, the coop is way to small for the 5 hens plus HUGE Festus the rooster. It doesn't help that the heat index here is over 100, so I do several things each day to try and reduce their heat stress. It's going to be a long hot summer here, from what the long-term weather forecasts. I'm doing the best I can. And thanks for thinking of Henny!

I have two suggestions to go with until you can get suitable housing provided; try taking a two-liter soda bottle, filling it with water and freezing it. We do that and put one under the coop. As the ice melts it cools the air in the area. Also, look up chicken saddles. They provide protection to the chicken's back from the rooster. It won't change his amorous ideas but it will make your chicken more comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom