Need help with sickly flock PLEASE!

Gammas Bearded Babies

Crossing the Road
May 24, 2021
Middle Tennessee
It began around July 10th...I noticed silkie Vanilli wasn't dust bathing with the others but sat outside sorta just laying there this morning. She had a clear gel like runny poo with a little bit of normal within it...but mostly clear liquid. I've heard a couple of them sneezing the past week or 2. The I noticed white liquid poo from a couple (unsure which exactly) earlier this week.
This morning when I go out I noticed my polish rooster Polish sounded very weak and hoarse even. He has been sneezing as well.
I have another silkie Mango and he is just laying around...hard to tell if he has any other symptoms.
Only 1 in my 4 are acting as usual.
They are all eating and drinking and I added this to their water each time.
JPEG_20210710_085233_2887806735341372788.jpg

Any ideas, suggestions as to what is going on?
Need help regarding what to do.

If I had lethargic 10 week olds with odd poop I would immediately start the flock on Corid.
The 9.6% liquid Corid should be diluted 2 tsp to a gallon of water and given to the birds as the only source of drinking water for a week. Offer fresh solution daily. I would also go ahead and drench each bird with a 1/4 tsp undiluted Corid directly to the beak once daily for 3-5 days. I drip the Corid along the corner of the beak where it will wick into the beak.
After the first week, drop the concentration of Corid water to 1 tsp per gallon of water for another week.
It is important to offer no vitamin/mineral supplementation during this treatment as amprolium (the active ingredient in Corid) is a thiamine inhibitor so adding supplemental thiamine to the diet will negate the effects of the treatment.
After treatment you can offer cooked rice with buttermilk and/or probiotics in the feed to help heal the gut.
Can you please post pictures of the affected birds and their coop and run?
Is it all clean and dry?
You may have a respiratory illness affecting the flock as well. If you hear rattled or raspy, wet breathing you would want to treat that with tylosin or denagard.

We got more rain during the night...so it isn't as dry as it normally is without rain. Their run is small and coop even smaller, BUT I am working on getting new area up and ready for them ASAP! Just gotta keep em well to get to move to it!

I believe I heard what sounded like raspy yesterday...it was a pleasant breeze and not anywhere near as hot as it has been and a couple were panting...but I guess that may have been breathing through beak?
I've got them on electrolytes and probiodics the past few days. This morning once they came out they acted more normal than they have been...Polish was chasing Vanilli and others were in garden.
You think I should still go the corid route?
It won't hurt. If they are not lethargic, I would skip drenching them.
When you offer supplements in the water, you need to offer a second waterer with just plain clean water in it but you need to stop that when you are giving Corid. They must have ONLY Corid water when you are treating with amprolium.
Heat will stress them badly too. What are you doing to keep them cool?
Are you currently working on expanding their space? LOTS of ventilation and keeping things as dry as you can will improve their quality of life and reduce your work load as well.

Have you checked for lice and mites? What about worms? I know it's not always possible to see worms, but have they been wormed lately? What are the conditions where you live besides hot has it been rainy and humid? Those types of weather conditions are prime for excess worm overload.
Can you get to a vet? Or can you have the poo tested?
If it's not respiratory and there are no pests, it could be worms or it could be they got into something toxic. How is the feed? Any mold?
Safe guard is recommended for worms unless its coccidiosis and then corid would be recommended.
Here is a similar thread that might be helpful: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/watery-poop-and-lethargic.1454324/

You won't always see worms in poo. I worm twice a yr just due to weather conditions and we have wild birds that hang around.
I use safe guard and mix it in their feed. There is a post here that explains how.
As far as corid, it is for coccidiosis and you add it to their water. I'm not sure you should do both treatments. But, if it were me knowing that a lot of young chicks get coccidiosis, I might start with that treatment.
I would check for pests above their tail as well.

Back
Top Bottom