1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need Help with Star This is her Poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RaisinAFlock, Dec 3, 2014.

1. RaisinAFlock

RaisinAFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2014
    She doesn't move around hardly at all that and the face comb, wattles paleness were the first symptoms I noticed then the white yellow discharged then the green watery diarrhea. At first I thought her paleness was from normal decrease in laying, molt, winter, old age, taking a break etc, coming from a 2 year old hen

2. RaisinAFlock

Dec 2, 2014
    Even today if I took her out of her cage she wouldn't move much at all, and in her cage she beds down or flops to her side, closes her eyes a lot. Wings tucked in, tail pointed down. Even when I hold her she tries to nodd off to sleep. I have a sweet but sleepy welsummer hen who sleeps a lot and closes her eyes a lot but that's just her, shes not sick, she's the first one to roost, always takes an afternoon nap is the first one to close her eyes and sleeps with her head tucked in her wing.

3. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Sounds like she might be dying, keep her warm and if she's alive in the morning, maybe you could take her to a vet?

-Kathy

4. RaisinAFlock

Dec 2, 2014
    I don't think she's dying, yet, I think she's sick, and needs medicine, I just don't know what she's sick with or what medicine to at least try to give her first, I am planning on trying to treat her with something tommarow, what I don't know. I might try a dewormer or an antibiotic, or both.

5. RaisinAFlock

Dec 2, 2014
    I think if I treat her and continue to feed her and give her water daily she may survive, and if she doesn't well then I can at least know in my heart I tried to save her.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    If she can sit or stand she needs lots of fluids, like 15ml per pound now, again in 60 minutes, then every 6-8 hours. She also needs to be kept in a room that's 80-85 degrees, and do not bathe her!

-Kathy

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The red blotched skin could possibly be from lying down on bedding, and not roosting at night.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    How is she this morning?

-Kathy

9. KayTee

KayTee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
  10. RaisinAFlock

Dec 2, 2014
    What do I get? For medicine? I am at co op now trying to get help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by