Need Help With Thesis Statement Regarding 2nd Amendment.....

Another thing...just a thought...you could always reference the current legal process going on over the constitutionality of the Gun Ban in Washington DC which was recently repealed. How the ban affected violent rates etc. OR the court cases revolving around upholding and finally REPEALING the ban.

SOME people feel the constitution does not specify the right to "handguns, automatic riffles, etc". Old school hunting riffles yes....OOzies...NO! (Not my belief...but something to think about). That's another angle.

Good luck!

Quote:
You need to sound firm and certain in your thesis statement. I would not use words like "seems to be", also avoid unnessary words, simple and clear makes your point easy to understand. Try re-arranging your sentence, and, is it part of your thesis that there is debate about the subject? Or is that your lead in to the thesis? It seems to me that you want your thesis to say that the right to bear arms is gauranteed in the constitution and that right is still valid today because of _____________________, _________________, _______________.
Or something like that.

28521_bear-arms.jpg

You may want to try out several sites of the Federal courts system to help you. Here are a few, www.uscourts.gov and http://jnet.ao.dcn, each site will then have links that may help. Also, your college library my have access to Westlaw and they can run a search for you or if you know a law student or attorney they may be able to help you with Westlaw. Each have search engines and some will link you directly to the most recent rulings on the 2nd amendment, you just need to have patience on these sights. I work closely with the federal judiciary and with every thing government, it's not always easy.

You'll also notice that in all the oaths for sworn/appointed federal employees and new citizens during their citizenship ceremonys, swear to bear arms for the US. Here's one of the oaths for the citizens oath, “I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.”

It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but our founding fathers thought so much of this right, that just about every oath has the statement to "bear arms" in some form or fashion. It's a little different for the employees, law enforcement related or not, but in our oaths none the less.

Good luck.

Perhaps a slight twist on this. Could you approach this by considering what a"militia" meant to the founding fathers? Maybe not approach the right to bear arms so much but why a well regulated militia is necessary for the security of the State. I think if you do this you will get more behind the reason for the amendment.

Just a thought.

Quote:
or draw the correlation between a "well regulated militia" and what the national guard actually is now a days compared to it's inception.

I am having trouble with this topic as well. I am only in 8th grade. Someone PLEASE HELP!!!!!
he.gif

Quote: Quote: Quote: Quote: Quote:

Back
Top Bottom