Need help with Woods style monitor windows

Will somebody tell me what is meant by “woods style,” please? I can’t find any description anywhere, with any search parameters. Maybe I am over thinking it?
Don't feel bad since you are not the only one that is not familiar with what a Woods coop looks like. aart posted good links.:thumbsup
It does have to be a certain size. A miniature version may not work as well. It also has to be oriented properly so that most of the prevailing winds are from the ideal direction. Another factor in orientation is the winter sun exposure.
Ask anything you are not sure of.:frow That is why so many here are for. Willing to help with whatever advice/knowledge/experience we have.
Above all,,,,,,,,,,,, :welcome and WISHING YOU BEST:)

It does have to be a certain size. A miniature version may not work as well. It also has to be oriented properly so that most of the prevailing winds are from the ideal direction. Another factor in orientation is the winter sun exposure.
Size proportions are very important for the physics of the 'air cushion' effect....
...orientation not so much, but can certainly be beneficial.

Last edited:
Well that explains it! Thanks to you who responded! I inherited a coop when we bought our property last year, so I’ll not be building anytime soon. The big take from browsing through Wood’s book is fresh air! Again, thanks so much. Sometimes enquiring mind’s just need to know stuff.

I went to my local ReStore and bought 2 raised panel wood cabinet doors and 4 hinges. I cut out the panels with a jigsaw and then attached plexiglass cut to cover the hole. They are attached with simple hinges and open out with a metal bar. Total cost was $3 for the doors, $0.60 for the hinges, and $5 for the plexiglass. I already had the metal bars.

I went to my local ReStore and bought 2 raised panel wood cabinet doors and 4 hinges. I cut out the panels with a jigsaw and then attached plexiglass cut to cover the hole. They are attached with simple hinges and open out with a metal bar. Total cost was $3 for the doors, $0.60 for the hinges, and $5 for the plexiglass. I already had the metal bars.
Cool!! ...got a coop page or build thread?

As I was finishing up my Woods house, I ran out of time and needed a place for the then 4 week old pullets to go, so with move in day looming large, I ended up slapping up some scraps of plastic roofing over the monitor windows.

IMG_9657.JPG

It has worked so well, it is still there, despite me having actually built real wooden monitor windows to replace them.

Instead of opening windows, which I have never found to be needed, you could do something like this, except use the clear stuff to let the winter sun shine all the way to the back.

Or, build the window frames and screw this stuff to them.

BTW, OPENING windows will also need to have a second set of screen windows behind them to keep out rodents and starlings and sparrows (flying rodents).

I guess my point is it is easy to start thinking you need to buy something that is pre-made and will slide in. This is a chicken house....and a well ventilated one at that. These windows need need not be complicated, elaborate or expensive.

Back
Top Bottom