need help worming!!!

I am on a mobile phone and have been unable to find the start thread button. An Aussie is a dog. I mentioned the breed because some workers are not safe for collie breeds. I can't remember the wormer and can't remember if Aussies are included. I know one of the chickens has round worms. She is setting eggs and when I pulled her off and she pooped trying to get away from me she pooped green diarrhea and it was loaded with round worms. I should have assumed these chickens had worms. Anyway I searched chickens and worms and found this thread. I wormed the flock with 1/2 cc of valbezon and figured I better put the Aussie on the same worming schedule. Too late now so I bought SE regular dog wormer.

I'm jumping on this thread because I have a question for dawg53. I've read all the worming threads and really appreciate all your experienced guidance. I haven't wormed my flock (I just started chickening a year ago!) - didn't realize I needed to - now I know. I'll be using Valbazen as soon as I find it. My question is dosing. I know its a standard 1/2cc and 1/4cc, but I have all bantums that range in size and age. Some are only 4 weeks, others a year. Should I adjust at all for weight? and is 4 weeks too young?

I am on a mobile phone and have been unable to find the start thread button. An Aussie is a dog. I mentioned the breed because some workers are not safe for collie breeds. I can't remember the wormer and can't remember if Aussies are included. I know one of the chickens has round worms. She is setting eggs and when I pulled her off and she pooped trying to get away from me she pooped green diarrhea and it was loaded with round worms. I should have assumed these chickens had worms. Anyway I searched chickens and worms and found this thread. I wormed the flock with 1/2 cc of valbezon and figured I better put the Aussie on the same worming schedule. Too late now so I bought SE regular dog wormer.

Ivermectin got blamed for collies in particular having seizure-like symptoms and abdominal trouble. Since they are the dogs most often around livestock, more of them were getting affected because ivermectin is used in so many livestock animals like cattle,sheep, pigs, etc., and ends up in their stool. Dogs were eating it in addition to ivermectin treatments they were receiving. I'm sure there were a number of dummies who weren't being cautious with medications as well.

Also, many herding breed dogs have a genetic predisposition to adverse drug reactions with certain drugs. An MDR1 gene test by a vet can determine if the particular dog has this tendency. I use Heartgard Plus with my Australian Cattle Dogs and haven't had any problems. I've used Interceptor with no problems too.

I'm jumping on this thread because I have a question for dawg53. I've read all the worming threads and really appreciate all your experienced guidance. I haven't wormed my flock (I just started chickening a year ago!) - didn't realize I needed to - now I know. I'll be using Valbazen as soon as I find it. My question is dosing. I know its a standard 1/2cc and 1/4cc, but I have all bantums that range in size and age. Some are only 4 weeks, others a year. Should I adjust at all for weight? and is 4 weeks too young?

Don't worm them unless you have a problem with worms in my opinion. I would never worm at all unless I had to. Some people have oodles of problems with worms on their property and some don't. I happen to live in a very wet soil area.

Don't forget to give the retreatment to break the life cycle.

I did see a roundworm from one of my Silkies - that's why I was going to worm everyone. There are those who mention that prevention is a better approach than treatment. What do you think?

I have come to believe in natural prevention through diet for a great many things. In humans, it comes in the form of raw milk, raw honey, natural eggs, and unpasteurized apple cider vinegar to name a few. In terms of worming, though, I am adding a monthly treatment of worms through the pumpkin seeds I mentioned earlier. Not only are they highly nutritious, but the worming aspect of it is an excellent side benefit. It's quick and easy.

I would not use any sort of medication for preventative worming, however. The less medication the better. That's part of America's problem in general, but that's an entirely different tangent.

I have come to believe in natural prevention through diet for a great many things. In humans, it comes in the form of raw milk, raw honey, natural eggs, and unpasteurized apple cider vinegar to name a few. In terms of worming, though, I am adding a monthly treatment of worms through the pumpkin seeds I mentioned earlier. Not only are they highly nutritious, but the worming aspect of it is an excellent side benefit. It's quick and easy.

I would not use any sort of medication for preventative worming, however. The less medication the better. That's part of America's problem in general, but that's an entirely different tangent.
Do you worm your dogs or cats? Would you eat pumpkin seeds and other natural products if you had worms?

Do you worm your dogs or cats? Would you eat pumpkin seeds and other natural products if you had worms?

Dogs and cats are a slightly different conversation, as their diets are not the standard foraging diets that a chickens' is. Cats and dogs are not meant to be eating grass and seeds. They are primarily meat eaters. So no, I would not feed them these types of wormers. Tobacco products are not in the natural diet of these animals, either, so that would not be on their diet list either, so that would be a curative measure. When I had dogs, I did not worm them on a regular basis. As a matter of fact, I never had to worm them at all. They were all extremely healthy and active, with excellent body weight and stools. I have only had to put them down for a severe car accident and old age.

If I had worms, yes, I would turn to natural products to cure it. Even better, though, my diet consists of various cleansers. I eat pumpkin seeds as snacks, drink a beverage with food-grade diatomaceous earth every other day, use garlic in a very large amount of my meals, and drink raw milk for better gastrointestinal health. That's just the worm-specific benefits of a healthy diet...

Back
Top Bottom