Need help..

MedlerFarm16

In the Brooder
Aug 7, 2016
Arkansas
I'm new to incubation an hatching....I got a good incubator an it's mostly full an then got a incubator called a HOVA BATOR, an I have 10 quail eggs in it an one has hatched out...so my question is how long does the baby bird stay in there before I can take it out an put it under a light? Again I'm new so?

Hi MedlerFarm16 and WELCOME TO BYC!! If you don't have a hatcher, then they can stay in the incubator for 12 to 24 hours before moving to a brooder. At this time, their living off the absorbed yolk. Which they can do for 3 days if necessary. The temp of the brooder should be around 95 to 98 degrees. You should decrease the temp by 5 degrees per week, until they are feathered out and can withstand normal ambient temperatures. Be sure to put anti-drowning waterers in the brooder and high protein gamebird crumbles for their feed. If using a heat lamp for a heat source, use a red one instead of white, helps to keep the chicks from pecking on eachother. HTH Good Luck

Hi MedlerFarm16 and WELCOME TO BYC!! If you don't have a hatcher, then they can stay in the incubator for 12 to 24 hours before moving to a brooder. At this time, their living off the absorbed yolk. Which they can do for 3 days if necessary. The temp of the brooder should be around 95 to 98 degrees. You should decrease the temp by 5 degrees per week, until they are feathered out and can withstand normal ambient temperatures. Be sure to put anti-drowning waterers in the brooder and high protein gamebird crumbles for their feed. If using a heat lamp for a heat source, use a red one instead of white, helps to keep the chicks from pecking on eachother.

Okay I have a both but me an my husband did research an so we transfer eggs from a incubator to a hatcher which is where they hatched...an I have a area with red light an all...but I have other eggs that haven't hatched yet will it effect them if I take the eggs when I take the babies out?

Hi MedlerFarm16 and WELCOME TO BYC!! If you don't have a hatcher, then they can stay in the incubator for 12 to 24 hours before moving to a brooder. At this time, their living off the absorbed yolk. Which they can do for 3 days if necessary. The temp of the brooder should be around 95 to 98 degrees. You should decrease the temp by 5 degrees per week, until they are feathered out and can withstand normal ambient temperatures. Be sure to put anti-drowning waterers in the brooder and high protein gamebird crumbles for their feed. If using a heat lamp for a heat source, use a red one instead of white, helps to keep the chicks from pecking on eachother.

Okay I have a both but me an my husband did research an so we transfer eggs from a incubator to a hatcher which is where they hatched...an I have a area with red light an all...but I have other eggs that haven't hatched yet will it effect them if I take the eggs when I take the babies out?
If you transfer the chicks quickly, from the hatcher it shouldn't make that much difference. There are alot of others out there, that say not to open the incubator or hatcher when their in "lockdown" but i have found it really makes no difference in the humidity levels. The humidity usually recovers quickly. If your really worried about the humidity dropping, use a spray bottle with warm water to mist the bator or hatcher before closing it back into lockdown.

Back
Top Bottom