Need help.

RDNX

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2016
Michigan
I have two chickens that are 3-4 months olds yesterday they both started to lay around and didn't want to stand up for to long. Both are eating and drinking well. They are both. Just lethargic and seem to be squeaking a lot. I have a video but don't know how to post it. They both sit down and have their tales upward and you can see there vent moving up and down. Both have clean vents . Anyone have any thoughts.

The video would be helpful - the best way for us to see it is to post it to youtube then give us a link.

Is the squeaking respiratory related?
Any mucous, coughing, sneezing, watery eyes?

Since you have 2 that are showing symptoms of lethargy - then you may be dealing with a Cocci overload. Treatment is with Corid which can be found at feed stores and online. Cocci symptoms include lethargy, loss of balance, diarrhea with mucous or blood and having a puffed up appearance.

Corid dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon.
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.
After they finish treatment offer some poultry vitamins and probiotics/plain yogurt.

Let us know how they are doing.

They both have no mucus, normal poop, and they are acting very happy, they are both eating and drinking normally just just seem to be to lavy or weak to stand for a long time. If I move the water or feed around in the quarantine brooder, then get up and walk over with no issues then once there they sit down and eat then walk out to the water and sit and drink. I have them some vitamin water. No breathing issues. I'm hoping it is a vitamin deficiency

They both have no mucus, normal poop, and they are acting very happy, they are both eating and drinking normally just just seem to be to lavy or weak to stand for a long time. If I move the water or feed around in the quarantine brooder, then get up and walk over with no issues then once there they sit down and eat then walk out to the water and sit and drink. I have them some vitamin water. No breathing issues. I'm hoping it is a vitamin deficiency

Hmmm...can you post some photos of the birds?
Do you know what breed they are?
What type of food are you giving?
From your description of their behavior and activity level, almost makes me think they are meat birds
hide.gif

One is a barred rock and one is a black sex link. I will try to get a couple pictures of them later tonight or in the am. They are being feed organic starter and growner. And whatever they find out in the yard. Plus I don't use any chemicals on my property

Last edited:
One is a barred rock and one is a black sex link. I will try to get a couple pictures of them later tonight or in the am. They are being feed organic starter and growner. And whatever they find out in the yard. Plus I don't use any chemicals on my property
Well... those aren't generally "non-active" like meat birds would be. They should be fairly active birds. How much space do they have in the brooder?
Interesting that they lay down to eat and drink. Do they act as if their legs are weak? As you mentioned earlier, could be a vitamin deficiency. Offer poultry vitamins that contain B2(Riboflavin) or crush a human B-Complex tab and add it to their feed daily to see if that helps.

Look at your feed bag to see when it was made - most bags have a date - if it's more than a couple of months old, essential vitamins and mineral can break down, so you may need a fresher bag.

Keep us posted.

How much longer are they scheduled to be quarantined for? I see you mention they are in "the quarantine brooder", at 3-4months they are quite large - do you have a space where they can go outside?

Having room to move around, have some sunshine, fresh air, access to dirt for bathing/scratching, perching, preening, etc., their activity level will rise. Being confined, they are just eating/drinking, gaining weight and probably have low energy. Their legs may be weak due to this, so getting the vitamins into them will be helpful as well.

Just my thoughts
smile.png

Last edited:
They were in the coup for the last month. 9x6 inside coup , 12x12 outside pen with the gate open to free range on 5 acres. The only time they are looked in the coup is at night. They have been in the box since Saturday midday. They are warm between 60-70 while the coup is dropping to about 45 at night recently. It was 32 this morning and 31 yesterday morning at my place. I want nothing more than to put them back out with the rest of the flock but they were just laying with there heads faceing the corner.

Back
Top Bottom