Need help...

Newbie246

Hatching
Aug 4, 2018
Ok so basically I have two Japanese quails. One male and one female. Until recently my male keeps chasing my female quail and she is very distressed. She is very jumpy now and is always trying to escape but when I let her out shell run back in. I have seperated them but do you have any idea why this is happening???

Ok so basically I have two Japanese quails. One male and one female. Until recently my male keeps chasing my female quail and she is very distressed. She is very jumpy now and is always trying to escape but when I let her out shell run back in. I have seperated them but do you have any idea why this is happening???
My guess would be he is mating her and she isn't that receptive.

For my chickens... I am working on a rooster tie out... so they can stay together but females can avoid unwanted advances by simply not entering the zone but still be able to approach if desired.

I don't have any true quail understanding though, so I could be off. Are you sure they are opposite genders?

How old are they? How much space? What is being fed? :fl

The male is probably trying to mate with her and she isn't having it. Ideally, you need at least four females to every male. Then he won't bother only one female, and eventually they will squat down for him when he comes close instead of running away.

You could get a few more females and try to integrate them into the flock. However, you always need to be careful when trying to introduce new birds because the two you have now will be very territorial. After you got new hens, you could move all of the birds into a new cage, or if you don't have that you could try to totally rearrange the old cage so that it feels new to your current birds.

For now, you can make sure she has lots of cover to hide from him. You might see that she doesn't lay because she's stressed out.

If he is chattering and growling at her and pecking at her face, he is being aggressive and you should separate them.

Sometimes birds decide they don't like each other. I have a female who almost killed the male she and some other hens were with. I removed the male to let him recover and then tried to reintroduce him but she went after him again.

Back
Top Bottom