Need help

Mshadows89

Chirping
Dec 18, 2018
Israel
I bought a brahma from a pet store he says shes 3 months old not laying i put her in the coop with the hens she seems to always be hiding when i open up the coop first thing in the morning today i noticed her with blood on the vent and tail feathers broken also little roughed up. Shes eating drinking fine but scared. She had sister at the store but only could afford 1 at the moment ill try to get her buddy this week so she has someone she does get along with my little chicks but not in their pack herez some pics

Attachments

• 20190816_095623.jpg
    20190816_095623.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20190816_093949.jpg
    20190816_093949.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 7
  • 20190816_093934.jpg
    20190816_093934.jpg
    615.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20190816_093926.jpg
    20190816_093926.jpg
    617.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20190816_093813.jpg
    20190816_093813.jpg
    749.2 KB · Views: 7
Putting a new bird in with an established flock and an established pecking order is a recipe for disaster for the new bird as you have found out. Your new Brahma is automatically the lowest in the pecking order and your other birds are letting her know that.
It's always best to integrate new birds into an established flock by penning them next to each other or putting a single bird in the same pen while caged so that established birds can get used to the new member. Of course you'll have to provide food and water to the caged bird or penned newbie. It might take a week or two for the old and new birds to get used to each other. Then you can slip the new bird into the coop at night. The next morning there might be some minor picking and pecking but it wont be serious. You can always let them out to free range and mingle with each other, that helps with integration. A word of caution; if you get the other bird at the store, the same thing will happen.
It might be best to build a separate small coop and pen for the newbies.

Yeah i figured that i also did some investigation of how the birds did rough her up a little but wasnt the cause of injury. The cause of injury was a peice of metal cut her from a wooden nesting box she was hiding in the same spot and blood was on the wall and on the nesting box and the peice of metal was sharp and that would most likely be the cause of the cut and the other birds are not picking at it also she is drinking lots of water eating a little bit trying to mingle with my outcast flock lol.but the blood dried up but still is oozing watery substance what can i clean her with theres no stores open for the next 2 days

Dont you think it would be odd that the cut just happened to be on the vent to cause the bleeding? It would still be bleeding if it were a cut, especially if it was a sharp piece of metal.
Make a 50/50 solution of betadine and water and gently apply it to her vent to prevent infection. Then apply neosporin ointment as needed and keep an eye on her. It should heal in 3 or 4 days. Good luck.

Dont you think it would be odd that the cut just happened to be on the vent to cause the bleeding? It would still be bleeding if it were a cut, especially if it was a sharp piece of metal.
Make a 50/50 solution of betadine and water and gently apply it to her vent to prevent infection. Then apply neosporin ointment as needed and keep an eye on her. It should heal in 3 or 4 days. Good luck.

Yeah its still bleeding a little but im 100% sure its from the metal not the birds since i have a big coop and i found her hiding the same spot and blood on the metal and can a mix salt and water to clean the wound then applythe Neosporin

I just cleaned her up them applied warm water on a towel to do the finishing up then put Neosporin i did notice watery blood is coming out of her butthole? But nothing protruding or anything she poops normal as well still drinking and eating ill seperate her with food and water hopefully she recovers

Back
Top Bottom