Need Help

Breed is something to consider, if the OP is living somewhere feral chickens tend to roam. Not something I would have considered, as we have no wild chickens, especially game or jungle types where I'm at. If that's the case, I can't even begin to guess how to integrate those varieties or whether they even flock or not. :confused:
They do flock, but they are mean as hell😅

We've been wondering about her breed for some time now since we didn't get her, and also because we're new with chickens!
It would help to know......
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1614776703358.png

She is definitely a feral chicken, but I'm going to guess that she has a mix in her as well. Her body shape is not as defined as it should be, but her comb is identical to one of my jungle fowl, and so is her behavior. If she has a high pitched voice then you can be sure she is a feral hen mix ( they are the only birds in my flock with a high pitched voice,) although I'm already sure due to your photos. Feral chickens can look a bit different depending on location too.
Here is some photos of feral hens off the web for you to compare:⬇️⬇️⬇️
View attachment 2552020View attachment 2552021View attachment 2552022View attachment 2552023
Here are two of my feral hens ⬇️⬇️⬇️, I will try to get a photo of them from the front today. (My pics)
I'm thinking she is a mixed breed because of her pink legs and darker coloration. I would place high bets on a Welsummer X feral chicken mix, but she might be pure feral, I'm not too sure.
All in all, her behavior is normal for this breed. I know she may peck her coop mate, but I'm guessing she is secretly happy to have another hen around. Like I had said before - my feral hen will peck anyone who dares get too close, but I know she still loves all her sisters. If you are worried about your new hen feeling lonely, I wold get her a flockmate of a calmer breed to hang out with, especially if your feral hen doesn't come to like your new girl.
You can temporarily separate them, to let them get used to each other through a fence for a few days.
best of luck!

View attachment 2551995View attachment 2552012View attachment 2552014
Thank you so much for putting in the time for your response and including the pictures. They were so helpful! I think you are absolutely right, she must be a feral chicken. Her body type and movements resemble the images, and she does have a high-pitched voice! Also, the way she digs with her feet and eats is a lot more aggressive and wild compared with the cochin, who doesn't even make a dent in the garden/coop even when she tries. Although she's still very mean, I think you are right in that she might be secretly happy that she has company. The cochin is constantly looking for her and follows her everywhere she goes, it's pretty cute! It helps to know that her behavior is normal, and I see the feral chicken in her so much clearer now, so thank you again for the info ❤️ Hoping she accepts her new mate and eases up on her within the coming weeks!

It would help to know......
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2553117
Good point! I'm located in Los Angeles. Just updated my account, thank you for providing me with the steps 🙂

If you can put her into a wire dog kennel/cage in the run for a while (usually a week, rarely 2), there’s a good chance when you let her back out, she & the other hen will get along. If you don’t have a dog crate like that, maybe you could borrow one.
I can’t say whether it’s a good idea or bad to let her out to go into the coop to sleep at night. I’d be inclined to put a pipe or branch across the dog crate as a roost, and throw a sheet or blanket over it at night— but it might also be ok to put her into the coop later after the other hen is already on the roost.

It’s never a bad thing to give their environment some extra places to play hide & seek, but it’s better for the new gal if she’s not being constantly chased into hiding. Not to mention, sometimes the hiding spots end up being someplace for the aggressor to corner the timid one, and then they can really hurt the

Assuming she’s not just a bully, letting her see the other hen going all over around the coop kinda re-adjusts their attitude. Then when they are re-integrated, Miss Meanie isn’t worried about the new gal getting into her space.

Even feral hens are often better after doing this. Feral hens can be tamed, and much, much easier than, say, feral cats. Chickens in general seem to have relatively short attention spans (most of them, anyway). So, generally speaking, it’s very possible to break bad habits... as long as we humans are more persistent than they are. ;)

I’m not convinced she’s feral... In your 1st post, you said she had an owner that didn’t care that she’d gotten away. If her former owners’ didn’t really do much with their birds, beyond feeding them & taking the eggs, then she might seem a little feral & probably won’t like interaction or being handled by humans. In time, with persistence, that may get better.

Good luck! They are nice looking hens. :thumbsup

Thank you so much for putting in the time for your response and including the pictures. They were so helpful! I think you are absolutely right, she must be a feral chicken. Her body type and movements resemble the images, and she does have a high-pitched voice! Also, the way she digs with her feet and eats is a lot more aggressive and wild compared with the cochin, who doesn't even make a dent in the garden/coop even when she tries. Although she's still very mean, I think you are right in that she might be secretly happy that she has company. The cochin is constantly looking for her and follows her everywhere she goes, it's pretty cute! It helps to know that her behavior is normal, and I see the feral chicken in her so much clearer now, so thank you again for the info ❤️ Hoping she accepts her new mate and eases up on her within the coming weeks!
I'm so glad I could help! ✨

I’m not convinced she’s feral... In your 1st post, you said she had an owner that didn’t care that she’d gotten away. If her former owners’ didn’t really do much with their birds, beyond feeding them & taking the eggs, then she might seem a little feral & probably won’t like interaction or being handled by humans. In time, with persistence, that may get better.
I think you have misunderstood what a feral hen is. She is feral by breed.
Feral
is not the same thing as wild.
It doesn't matter is she had an owner beforehand or even if she was hand-raised by someone, she's a feral hen by genetics. She lays white eggs. She has a high pitched voice and looks like a welsummer. I'm 100% positive she is a feral hen. Thanks for your input!💛

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom