need help

MCM37

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 30, 2010
I am new to raising quail. in fact im just now building a pen. but i need help. i am building a 4ft x 10ft x3ft tall pen to keep about 20 or so bob whites in. i will then take two plastic totes and cut aut the tops and put wire on them. and of course have a heat lamp on top. i have two so i can clean one and trasfer them. but my ?? is how big of a tote do i need for how many chicks and also one they are of age to leave the brood tote can i put them with the older birds in the 4x10 pen. (that is assuming i dont eat or sale them) just saying what if i had a few left.

my experience is that that those 20 chicks will outgrow the biggest tote in a couple weeks...i have 20 coturnix chicks that outgrew the big one i used in less than 2 weeks.
i moved them to 2 bigger containers and they are 3 weeks old now and they have outgrown those 2 containers as well. They grow faster than Bobwhites but this will at least give you an idea....

so what do u sugest as a good size area then. i mean what if i had 50 chicks. how many sq ft is needed till there of age to go out. thanks for ur reply

what amount of space do you have ? can you stack totes and just divide the chicks up?
i'm not sure of the rate of growth with Bobwhites,never having raised them before.... maybe an area 3 or 4 X 4 once they outgrow the tote and the air temperatures have been dropped some ..?
hopefully the Bobwhite knowledgable people will get on here soon and contribute some imput.....
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom