Need Help

sadie1953

Chirping
11 Years
May 21, 2012
Hampton Ga
One of my hens Rhode Island Red, got stuck in coop, found her hanging upside down on one foot caught. Foot is swollen and she isn't walking on it. What to do? She is dragging it, nothing that I can feel is broken. Just can't stand to think she is in pain. What can I do to help her? Should I separate her from the others? Have 12 total.

Sadie

If she's up to it, have her stand in some very warm epsom salt water. Most of my chickens have loved their experience with warm water. I'd let her stay in the water up to 20 minutes if she likes. I think her foot will recover. I'm certain it hurts her but trying to give her human pain meds may do more damage than good. After her soak, massage her foot, toes and ankle area gently.

Oh I love my babies. First time I had chickens bu have already gotten very attached. Live in Hampton, Ga. Retired Banker. My husband thought I needed a hobby, but have found I have fell in love with these guys.

Okay gave a good soak plan on another tonight. She is still dragging the leg but swelling seems to have gone down alittle. Should I separate her from the others?

Back
Top Bottom