Need ideas for easy-to-make Halloween costume

I gave her all of the options this morning and she chose to be JELLY BEANS. She said, "That sounds really cute and if I look cute maybe" . . . and she paused to rub her hands together and give me a comic evil look . . . "they'll give me more candy." Nice to see her motives are pure, huh? I just raised my eyebrow and said a little prayer.

THANK YOU ALL for your ideas. I knew this was the place to come for creative and fun and frugal ideas.
smile.png

I forgot to mention last night that my niece has gone as a smarty pants before. All you have to do is attach packs of candy smarties all over her pants and there you go! You have a smarty pants!
wink.png

She could also be a babysitter. Pin a baby doll to her rear end and you have a baby sitter.
smile.png

The jelly beans will be cute too.
wink.png

Here's what I did at an adult party last year.
I got a big cardboard box, covered it in tin foil, painted a big "R" on the front and back.
Then I let THEM guess what I was....
It was funny, no one "got it".

I was a guy, in a box, covered in foil, with an "R" on both sides....
I won the "T" shirt for the most original costume at the bar.
It was fun making everyone guess!

Last edited:
I took 2 white curtains (about 3" square) and cut holes in the center for the neck. Put both of them on my daughter and adjusted the fabric to look like a ghost outfit. Then painted her face white. That was the most simple costume I have ever made.

What size is your daughter? If she is small then I might have a costume I could give you. I had just recently listed it for sale. It is the Childrens Place Harvest Witch costume. Very cute. If it would fit her, I would send it to you - no charge....You would have to measure her though.

26518_011.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Chicks_N_Horses, my daughter wears a 7 slim. She's 49 inches tall and 47 pounds. I am honored that you offered to do this. Actually, I am stunned and humbled too. Wow. Even if this wouldn't fit her, your offer has completely blessed my day.

THANK YOU! ~ Stacey

we have many years behind us with less than five bucks to put together costumes for all 3 boys, and their creativity turned out to be the best part, they were always SO PROUD of themselves with their costumes. Discovered:
paper lunch bag makes GREAT frankenstein head/hat, just crayons to color green and black hair;
cardboard box and school supplies markers/paint made a truck costume that won an award;
black garbage bag Darth Vader helmet and cape was VERY showy;
underwear on the outside of your pants makes any superhero (if you have a good sense of humor);
firepit charcoal and messed up hair with a "Dr." nametag made a great Mad Scientist.
The kids all got lots of candy, that was their most important part. Once I spent a lot of effort on buying and fixing up a costume for one 7 year old, but the mood of the day got the best of him and he went out trick or treating in his own creation anyhow.

I love to sew and paint, but honestly, the costumes they did on their own are their favorite memories. One of my kids had a disability for a few years, but he still loved to do his own thing! I'm always there to help. Last year I made a fantastic cherokee costume for the 3rd grader, because he was into it in social studies and also discovered our cherokee heritage in the family tree, so it became a lovely project he still talks about. One year I made plenty of money and DH took them shopping in "Hell" for costumes and kept calling me from his cell phone,"well, we just left one hell and now we're spiralling down that dark abyss by the Sears store, yep here we go into another hell" . Unfortunately, its easily our whole grocery budget to shop at those stores for costumes. But the year they did that they can laugh about their visits to hell. Luckily, we have the best library EVER, and our current 7 year old is WAY into holiday cookbooks and holiday storybooks, can't wait to hang out for a few hours in the Halloween aisle of our library! The kids almost always got their ideas from there, come to think of it......,

I was this last year, and it was a hit! Black hoodie and black sweat pants!

DSCN3996.jpg

I used 10 necklace size , and 7 bracelet size, glow sticks, bought at the dollar tree! I used a piece of black cardboard to tape the face and hair to,I cut eye holes and used pipecleaners to hold it in my head, but you don't have to make a face! I liked how the dress looked better then just a stick man!
I carefully tacked on the glowstick brackets so they would just plug in!
Like this

DSCN3998.jpg

You have to buy a few extra glow sticks so you can measure where everything needs to go!

Don't use the glow sticks you will use the night of Halloween, cuz then they won't glow!!!
If you want better directions just ask away! I spent about 5-6 dollars

Oh, you are more than welcome. I know how it is to be strapped for cash. I am glad to help anyone when I can.

I measured the costume. It has a size 4 on the tag inside. My dd was 4 last year when she wore it but it was a little stretchy and I thought I might fit a small 7 year old....So, here they are:

From top shoulder to bottom hem is 27 inches long
The waist is 18 inches around
Arm length is 14 inches

Measure your dd to see if it will fit her.
smile.png

...now that I have measured it, it doesn't sound like a 7 yr. old fit but fingers crossed! I have another costume too, Dorothy - The Wizard of Oz. It is a cute little dress. My 9 yr. old dd wore it last year.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom