Need ideas,UPDATED WITH VIDEO!!!! Honey gave me the WHOLE barn 4 chicken pen!!!!!!!!!

WELLLLLLLL this is a big job lol lol....got up this morning and started with what I have right now. cleaned out back area, tons of junk buried in the dirt so a digging I go.....
sad.png

Sooooo here is what I have accomplished so far ..... (gotta get on the Mommy chores since today is my day off)

dug up all junk in dirt floor in main area in the back
pulled particle board and junk boards all off the walls nothing really able to be recycled there
along whole back tin wall dug down 18 inches and "planted" new tin to meet the old to reinforce (this has to be done along right wall too but got tired)
dug trench across barn where framed up wall will go went down 18 inches and planted wire with landscape treated timbers on top and buried.....thinking bottom board of frame up wall will sit/meet right on top of that

discovered in platform area there is a space where roof sits on 2x8 s that will have to be covered with wire.....that's gonna take some time

decided to divide into 3 main areas in barn:

keeping platform area going to revamp and use what is there and fix it up for brooding and teenage pen

main area will be right beside platform area basically the same size but using the full height of barn will have to build and frame out door and wall within the barn, going to cris cross roosts in the corner going up high to utilize the height of the barn.....hmmmm thinking it is so high might put pair of dove in there that would be neat!!!

entrance way (big open space) going to leave open for now but utilize the space enclosed to the right for incubator, supplies, feed, miscellaneous pens, sick bird pens, etc etc

there is a small enclosed pen to the left of the back main area to be used for specialty breed birds/project birds/broodies or mommas with chicks.....only large enough for about 5 birds full grown but gives an extra pen!!!!

This is going to be harder than I thought.......kinda bummed worked real hard but doesn't look like I got much accomplished
hmm.png

Have a half day tomorrow if not too worn out think I am going to pull down the old wire and start putting up the new.....no carpenter skills here whatsoever so no telling what this is going to look like but I will post pics as I go....I know I have looked for tons of ideas on here maybe someone else with non skills like me might get use out of the pics/ideas.

Lucky You!! I have been trying to get a coop built so I can get chickens for 3 or more YEARS! My husband doesn't want chickens and it is all I think about! There could be a "chicken divorce"!

well today I did cleanup some more....so much junk everywhere.....cut down some old wire and got one long board leveled and nailed up which is the top of the frame up area where the door is gonna go.

I completely agree with luvs2ride1979 -
Quote:
And it sounds like you have some great ideas so far. Great job on digging the trenches and putting in new tin - should help significantly with predator-proofing. I wish I had some terrific ideas for you as I understand suddenly having so much wonderful space and not knowing just what to do with it (see my new barn and coop page) - but it really is hard to visualize someone else's space and know their exact needs. Once you get the main layout decided, I am sure lots of ideas will come your way - so definitely keep the pictures coming!

update...ok been busy with kid stuff but the grow out/teenager pen is ALMOST FINISHED!!! All I have left is a door!!!! I have cleaned and hung wire and spliced and fixed and tied and hammered my hand off lol lol. I found really cheap barn paint at Atwoods so I got one of each of the only 2 colors they had barn red and white. just painted the area I am working on but it looks so much better. So far I have spent 114.00 and that is only on the wood, a nail gun,1 roll of chicken wire (to keep babies IN), nails, and a speed square. Got enough wood to make 4 doors of different sizes everything else I have recycled. The wire is spliced and stretched and tied and bent in all different areas BUT it is sound and didn't cost me anything but my time. I will post pics again soon I am just super busy right now!!!!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom