NEED IMMEDIATE HELP!!

Mine have been in the house for 8 weeks now. They have their own spare bedroom. They're in a Rubbermaid Tote and get out during the day for 6 hours in their run. Then I pick them all up and plop them into their tote overnight. Sets my mind at ease!

Mine came in and were fine! I didn't know they weren't supposed to be in as babies! Your babies will be fine inside.

Better than a thermometer-pay attention to their behavior. If they spread out evenly, they are fine, temperature-wise. If they huddle when awake, they are too cold and if they avoid the lighted areas they are too hot. If you're worried, bring them in. When they're small, it's no problem to have them indoors. As they get bigger, they'll be quite messy. By then, it should be OK to put them out anyhow.

You don't need to heat the whole brooder area. Just a warm (95 degree) area on one end will do. My light (125w) with the reflector was about 18 inches above chick level. A thermometer is nice but not necessary. Place your hand on the bedding under the light. As long as it feels warm to your skin it is good. If the chicks pile on one another directly under the light they are cold. Lower the light a small amount till move away or spread out a little. They will stay together even when warm, just not piled like sardines in a can. Might try covering part of the brooder if necessary. Secure the heatlamp so it doesn't fall or start any fires! They need a cool area also to escape the heat also to prevent overheating.

I think the "don't bring them in" advice is more about the humans than the chickens. Around 3 weeks you'll notice a layer of dust. Around 5 weeks you'll notice SEVERAL layers of dust. Smell and keeping them healthy should be no problem with good management and enough room.

I will run out and take a pic of my set up to post and show everyone. I can't thank you all enough for the information! You have all been so helpful!!!

I ended up having my husband bring them in! I think I will sleep better knowing they are safe inside! It is much warmer in the house, so I have one light to see how things go for a bit... Here is a pic...

Last edited:
mine are inside on shelf by my bed so i can keep checking on them at night going to miss them when they go out also having them inside helps teh dogs and cats learn they are part of our pack. i also can keep track if there cold or hot

Bring them in the house!! We had ours in the heated garage. Now that it is warmer here in the Midwest, we do not have our furnace on. We are getting them used to the cooler temps to move them to the coop, and they no longer have a light. They spend the day outside in a pen, and I bring them into the garage at night.

Thank you everyone for you quick responses and helpful information! It is greatly appreciated! I will keep you updated to how the group is thriving!!!

Back
Top Bottom