need info on rabbits please!!!

what do u need to know? i use to raise rabbits when i was a kid and thinking about getting back into them. i'll try to help u out the best i can.

ok lets see ..... um how to make them gentle is there anyway to make them not kick u? do they need baths im telllim ya i know nothing i know abt cages and pretty much abt feed...just need to know other stuff to make him happy and friendly will he or she play with toys? what kind if so how do u sex them? i know it is hard
sad.png
and have u ever trained one to a leash?.........yes a leash lmao thanks in advance!!!

Sexing should be done carefully-prefferably someone knowledgable.
My bunny babies like to play with ping pong balls-push them around. They chew ALOT, so be careful of any toxic or harmful toys.
Wire can be tough on tender feet, optional solid, or soft surface is great-where they can get off the wire for a bit.
They love carrots and tops, take it easy on lettuce (diarrea) and darker greens are good and a bit of apple-no seeds.
Handling in a calm atmosphere and carrying bunny securely is very important-hand under rump and under front chest. Let bunny warm up to its environment before adding new stresses such as handling/other pets/lound noises etc.

Ours get to go outside in a wire pen (dirt and straw flooring) for a bit daily, and they LOVE to hop and play-but must be watched if in an open top pen (predators).
Hope this helps a bit
smile.png

PS: Pet and feed stores sell harnesses for small critters. You can eventually train them to hang out with you on a leash/harness. But, for the time being, take it easy on adding too much at once-bunnies can stress easily.

Last edited:
I've had bunnies all my life.

1) If you place water in a very heavy bowl they should not be able to spill it.

2) You may have a Florida white bunny. I've attached a photo of my Florida white bunny. I adopted him from PetSmart. Somebody dumped him off in a freezing cold blizzard. He was there all night long freezing. I named him Spanky.

3) Make sure you give him access to hay all the time. The stores sell Timothy (I think).....my rabbit prefers the mixed hay or orchard grass.

4) Sit on a chair and place the rabbit in your lap a few minutes a day to get him used to his surroundings. He will either love to be held or not. Mine loves to be held but starts figeting when he wants to be let down ---

5) His main diet should be rabbit pellets and hay. Make sure he always has hay in front of him. You can give him a little apple, carrot, kale, grape as a treat. NEVER feed a rabbit CABBAGE --- it can KILL him.

6) My bunny is litter trained. You can teach them that too.

7) Yes, I heard rabbits can be taught to walk on a lease. I've never done this with mine.

8) Cheap play toys: Toilet and paper towel rolls when used. They love chewing on the carboard. You can cut the paper towel rolls into three or four pieces. Some bunnies like to play more than others.

9) Bunnies do not needs baths. I've never given my rabbits a bath. They keep themselves very clean.

10) I put a padding on one side of my bunny's cage for him to go to sleep on. I also place his food on this side. The opposite side of his cage is his litter box.

Have fun with him. I'd never be without a bunny. They are wonderful animals......especially for adults!
DSC00049.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Lots of cuddle time will help tame a rabbit, as well as hand feeding.

Rabbits do not need baths.

sexing should be done by a pro, when they are little, but once over 6-8 months sexing should be easy, as the males testicles should drop.

Training for a leash, needs to start early, and continue on.

Depending on where you want your rabbit to live, helps in their socialization. An Inside rabbit will socialize quicker. But a Rabbit that is house trained, and alowed to roam(in a rabbit proof area) will Adjust and Tame even quicker.

But rabbits are Rabbits,a nd will not train or be a pet like a dog, they get scred easily.

Rabbits can be litter trained very easily. placing pan in the corner of the cage, with litter(all natural, do not use cat litter!) and the bunny will use it, bunnies like to potty in the smae spot as they are very clean!

The House Rabbit Society's website is the premier collection of info and links for all things bunny. The address is www.rabbit.org.
My bunny lives in the house, uses a litterbox, and has free range of the downstairs. This is the best situation if you want a well-socialized, happy bunny. Bunnies who are outside in a hutch all the time with no stimulation and no company live miserable lives and are usually very unfriendly.
Have fun!

A good website on rabbits with answers to basic questions is:

www.lagomania.com

*This site also illustrates how to see if your rabbit is male or female.

P.S. Thanks chickpea for the other rabbit site. I'll have to check that one out.

Last edited:
All the advice is great and the only thing I want to add is that if you try to litter train your bunny dont use a pie tin.. I tried that and the baby rabbit I had decided that it was a great toy. I had put cedar shaving in it and put it where he had been pooping the most. About 20 minutes later I hear this Bang, Bang, Bang. I look in to see the shavings EVERYWHERE and the rabbit sitting ontop of the overturned tin.
lol.png
Not one of my best ideas for sure..Jenn

Back
Top Bottom