Need Info

Pickstarr

Hatching
Feb 28, 2016
Hello. I live in Commerce Township (48390) and I about to get 2 baby chicks in a few weeks. Am I allowed to keep them outside and use them for breeding and eggs once they are old enough? Are there any restrictions in Commerce? I live in a small subdivision if that makes a difference. Please give me all the info you can. Thanks!

I did a online search for your township. in the ordinances I looked up poultry keeping in search.(I highly suggest you do this too so you can read it for yourself). it states only domestic animals are allowed then it gives another ordinance to refer what "they" consider a domestic animal. Sadly chickens are not considered as there definition of domestic animal. so from what I found no. They do not allow them. some people ask there opposing neighbors if they mind if they keep chickens and if they don't mind, they keep them anyway on the low down. I would never recommend this because it is against the ordinance of the city but I've heard it has been done before. usually if the neighbors are happy and ok with it they don't turn in the poultry keeper. However i do not recommend going against your city ordinance. Hope this helps and do a search and give it a read for yourself. best of luck

I did a online search for your township. in the ordinances I looked up poultry keeping in search.(I highly suggest you do this too so you can read it for yourself). it states only domestic animals are allowed then it gives another ordinance to refer what "they" consider a domestic animal. Sadly chickens are not considered as there definition of domestic animal. so from what I found no. They do not allow them. some people ask there opposing neighbors if they mind if they keep chickens and if they don't mind, they keep them anyway on the low down. I would never recommend this because it is against the ordinance of the city but I've heard it has been done before. usually if the neighbors are happy and ok with it they don't turn in the poultry keeper. However i do not recommend going against your city ordinance. Hope this helps and do a search and give it a read for yourself. best of luck

Dang, that's pretty saddening... would I still be allowed to keep them as a house pet though? Just let them chill under an incubator and stuff.

Here's what I could find on local laws:

Domestic animal means an animal that has traditionally, through a long association with humans, lived in a state of dependence upon humans or under the dominion and control of humans and has been kept as a tame household pet, including but not limited to, dogs, cats, hamsters, gerbils, ferrets, mice, rabbits, cockatiels, cockatoos, canaries, parrots, and tropical fish.

(Ord. No. 91-02-00, § 3, 6-11-2002)

A person shall not own, harbor, or maintain any animal within the township except a domestic animal as defined in section 10-2.

(Ord. No. 91-02-00, § 7, 6-11-2002)

A person shall not harbor or maintain more than three domestic animals of a species, except fish, six months of age or older on any premises at any time.

(Ord. No. 91-02-00, § 8, 6-11-2002)

A person shall not keep or harbor an animal which, by barking, howling, meowing, squawking, or producing any other sound made frequently or for a continued duration, annoys, endangers, injures, or disturbs a person of normal sensitivities who is located off of the premises occupied by the animal.

(Ord. No. 91-02-00, § 11, 6-11-2002)

(a)
A person shall not permit an animal to discharge fecal material upon any public or private property within the township, unless the person has the permission of the owner, lessee, or occupant of the property or immediately cleans up and removes the fecal material.
(b)
A person shall not walk or exercise any animal on any property not owned by the person walking the animal, whether public or private, unless the owner has an appropriate device or means for the collection of fecal material in his immediate possession and an appropriate container for the transportation of the fecal material for proper disposal.
(Ord. No. 91-02-00, § 12, 6-11-2002)

(a)
A person shall maintain real property where an animal is harbored or maintained in a sanitary manner so that animals and humans are not harmed or affected by dangerous conditions, disease, odor, insects, or vermin.
(b)
A person shall ensure that dog, cat, or animal food, urine or fecal material on the property where an animal is harbored or maintained does not threaten the health, safety, or welfare of others or constitute a nuisance to others due to unsightly conditions, odor, disease, or the attraction of flies or vermin.
(c)
All persons who own, manage, lease, rent, occupy, or control any dwelling, garage, outbuilding, or other structure shall be equally responsible for keeping each structure in a clean and habitable condition and shall take all necessary steps to prevent conditions detrimental to the public health, including but not limited to rotting food, garbage, trash, urine, fecal material, or unsanitary conditions which could lead to disease, odor, rodents or vermin.
(Ord. No. 91-02-00, § 13, 6-11-2002)

(b)
A dog, cat, or other domestic animal shall be confined to the owner's premises at all times, except when the dog, cat, or other domestic animal is otherwise under the reasonable control of the owner.
(Ord. No. 91-02-00, § 15, 6-11-2002)

A violation of this chapter shall be deemed to be a municipal civil infraction.

(Ord. No. 91-02-00, § 17, 6-11-2002)

Source

As far as I can tell, chickens aren't explicitly outlawed. Your main issue is going to be that they don't qualify under the traditional idea of a "tame household pet." Your best bet is to tame them down, make them into pets and call them pets if anyone asks, keep them as quiet as you can, keep the coop very clean and tidy, rehome any cockerels, and bribe any grumpy neighbors with eggs. You won't be able to breed and based on this won't be able to have more than 3 hens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom