Need input. Currently building coop

Stormy

Chirping
13 Years
Jun 7, 2008
South Carolina
We are building using scraps we have at home. So no initial financial investment. We used 4x4 posts for the corners, burried three feet deep (or more). We put plastic down on the ground then the wooden frame of the floor. Covered the framed floor with cement board (as you can see from the picture, we still have to finish the edges of the floor with the cement board).

We then build the frame. We had this corregated stuff laying around and we have used it on the walls. We used corregated panelling (lighter weight) on the roof. The areas up high on the east and west sides are currently left open.

We were thinking of using hardware cloth wiring (see picture of it) to cover these two areas on the upper east and west sides to allow more air circulation. We will build wooden hinged covers to cover this area in the cold midwestern winters.

We still have to put the handles on the door/we do have a large window on both the east and west side of the coop.

We also still need to do the run.

Any words of wisdom? Advise?
I am not sure how to place my pictures here, but will give it a try:

100_7941.jpg

100_7943.jpg

100_7942.jpg

The building is 8' x 10' and we are planning on having 12-15 chickens.

Looking great!
thumbsup.gif
Definately use the hardware cloth around the vents, and windows. We are in the process of building our 3rd one...and will use hardware cloth around any opening...big or small..we have a mink issure here. :mad: I bet any chicken will be proud to call that home!

You guys are doing a great job... kudos!

I love it when people can build without spending a fortune (like some of us dipsticks).

You chickens will love to call that home.

Oh I had not even thought of using the hardware cloth on the windows. Just on the top of the east and west sides up where it is currently open.

The windows have glass and a screen. Will the "bad-guys-that-eat-chickens-in-the-night" be able to get through that regular window screen? Is that why you mentioned using the hardware cloth there as well?

Tomorrow we are starting on the run....digging 4x4 posts. Planning on making it pretty large. Not sure yet what construction materials we will be using....I am open to any words of advise on the run and what to do and not do.

I plan on painting the coop when we are done and decorating the outside of it somehow.....

Thanks again guys for your words of wisdom. Please feel free to advise further.

Stormy

Have you considered insulation to moderate summer heat and winter cold? I also agree with all comments regarding predator separation. We have your predators, and I have witness through friends what can happen. We used 1/2" hardware cloth too. Total descriptions of all our work in the home page below. it's a wonder project you've begun, I'm sure your girls will be as content as ours!
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom