Need metal roofing material

Frithest

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 22, 2011
Seattle
I am in Seattle but grew up elsewhere, in the country, where every second house had a pile of rusting corrugated metal roofing behind it. I have designed and built a coop with this in mind for the roof - all it needs is a door and a roof. It's too late to substitute asphalt shingles (the slope is too low to use them), and I've blown my budget on upgrades to the coop (hubby is an architect, some of my ideas just didn't fly...). Is there anyone in the Seattle area that has any ideas about how to find used roofing for a sloped-roof coop that will be waterproof and appease our very opinionated neighbors? I've tried the Re-store and Second Use, Craig's List, even regional classified ads. No-one has the stuff (metal or acrylic). Here's the coop, sans roof:
104489_dscf4101.jpg

The babies are getting big and I need to get them into this soon! Thanks all.

Call roofing contractors in the area and see if they can put you in touch with a source. Someone has to do metal roofs in Seattle-there is always a niche market for them in every major city.

You have to check with ReStore every day as they will get a load in and it will go out within a day or 2.
The best way is to start volunteering there. Plus you will get a discount when it does come in.
tongue.png

I have called roofing contractors asked for their scraps the usually give it to you. I got enough to do a 4x8 coop and the run . Never hurts to ask

Last edited:
We spent more(okay, over double) then expected on our coop and run. We just purchased a steel roof for our run. It cost us just over $100 for our 22x5 roof top cut in one piece. I'd prefer shingles, but hubby didn't want to do the work. We need the roof to keep the snow from falling in. We ordered a color to match our siding. I really don't care what our neighbors think about it, they are not nice people at all and won't even wave to us after 9 years of trying to be nice. They frequently shout out foul language to each other and I need to direct my kids inside.

I would keep checking your local ads in the paper, craigslist and freecycle. Good luck with your search.

Thanks all for the tips. I really needed to get the roof done this weekend so finally just bought the stuff new. Calls to roofers, metal salvage places, architectural recyclers all came up short. Apparently used corrugated roofing is a hot item in Seattle. I might start trucking the stuff in and selling it!

Dang to bad your not in WV.... Craig list has 6 sheets 3' x 12' black tin for sale for $50. I already bought all i needed but would still buy this if I had the extra cash.

Back
Top Bottom