Need new ideas for hot dogs...

BettyR

Songster
12 Years
Mar 1, 2008
Texas Gulf Coast
I love hot dogs...my favorite brand is BarS. I don't know if that's a local or nation wide brand but I think they taste the best.

This is two of my favorite ways to make hotdogs and I usually make them at least twice a month. I would really like to hear some new and inventive ways to serve them. I'll share mine with you....\\

Corndogs
This in enough batter for about 6 hotdogs.

1-cup flour
2/3-cup cornmeal
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons oil
1 egg
3/4-cup milk

Remove the hotdogs from the package and roll them up in paper towels to dry them; let them sit in the paper towels while you make the breading. The breading will not stick to wet hotdogs.

Put the hot dogs on a Popsicle sticks

Mix the ingredients together. Place the batter in a tall glass; the batter will be thick.

Dip the hotdogs in the batter and fry at 375°. Cook two corndogs at a time, rolling the corndogs against one another to cook evenly on all sides.

Cook until golden brown; drain on paper towels.

Enjoy!
Howtomakecorndogs002small.jpg

Howtomakecorndogs007small.jpg

Howtomakecorndogs012small.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hot Dog Kolaches

Kolache Roll Dough

2 packages or 16 hot dogs

1-1/4 cup warm water
1/2 cup powdered milk
1/4-cup white sugar
1/4-cup soft spread tub margarine – melted
2 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg beaten
4 1/2 cups bread flour
3 teaspoons yeast

Remove hot dogs from packages and roll up in paper towels and let sit on counter to dry and reach room temp.

Place ingredients into bread machine in the order listed. Turn machine on dough cycle and mix well. Turn machine off and allow dough to sit for 1 hour.

Turn machine back on dough cycle.

When the dough cycle has finished, portion the dough into 16 pieces and flatten each piece out, one at a time, with your fingers side to side. Making a long piece of dough about half again as long as the hot dog. Lay the hot dog down on the dough and pull the ends together over the dog long ways and pinch it. Then bring the side edges up over the dog and pinch them shut. Lay the dogs out in a large roasting pan and spray with cooking spray.

Rise for 30 minutes, bake at 375° for 12 minutes. Turn the pan for even browning and bake another 12 minutes.

Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.

HotDogKolaches002.jpg

HotDogKolaches003.jpg

Last edited:
Man, those look awesome.
I am a kraut fan and love to douse my franks with mustard, onions and kraut. We have a local brand here that sells for over 6 bucks a pound but are well worth an occasional treat.

Betty, I found the "lets eat Marie" blog looking for a link to the scrambled dog. They also have a series of posts tagged with "hot dogs". Here-----------> http://marieletseat.blogspot.com/search/label/hot dogs You might get some ideas there.

Here is the thing. I have had this discussion with my dad 30 years ago and with my wife just last week. Anybody can make a better hamburger at home, without even trying, than most burger joints. For some reason, greasy spoon restaurants make better dogs than I can at home. Our local Dairy Queen is owned and operated by a very nice Pakistani family. Their dogs are better than any I ever made myself.

Have eaten at the Varsity many times. They have well earned the title of the "dog that barks all night".

How do you make the hot dogs inside the rolls?? I didnt quite get it...
hide.gif

They look so very good!
th.gif
droolin.gif

This is my favorite hot dog chili recipe; pair it with a Hebrew National or Nathan's dog, homemade slaw, mustard, and finely chopped onion on a soft hot dog bun and you have hot dog "perfection."

Aiken (SC) Pool Hall Hot Dog Chili

1 lb ground beef
3/4 cup hot water
1 1/2 cups minced onions
4 tablespoons ballpark mustard
3 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 cup ketchup
salt
4 hot dog buns
4 hot dogs

Directions:
Mix everything together in a large saucepan and cook slowly for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Add salt to taste. Use to top hot dogs in buns. Freezes well and ingredient measurements can be increased to make a larger amount.

Please tell me you have had "Pigs in a Blanket"
Roll a hot dog is crescent rolls with some cheese.
I grew up eating this simple dish. Hot Dogs should
be easy!

Back
Top Bottom