Need opinions;just got a new silkie pullet,

Smoky73 wow looking at your website pics of your white silkies makes me depressed lol
how i wish to have some like that.... but being a college student, i cant afford to make that finacial leap yet. Ugh tuition you are killing me.

Hi Morgan,
I am glad you asked the questions, that so many newbies would like to ask. I really enjoyed this thread. The links provided by some of the experienced breeders was very thoughtful. Thanks everyone!

Lol thanks Bunny, i feel kinda stupid asking all them, Lol like cushion and things lol
but its part of the growing process.
glad i could help awnser questions,
you into silkies?

honey for five months she looks really good. the standard does not call for the huge crests that are popular right now. she has a decent crest and she has a lot of growing to do. I took this pic yesterday of this boy
38899_100_1002.jpg

His crest hasn't come in yet I know he will get one but for now the size of the cushion alone makes me want to keep him and see how he turns out. It takes a full year for a silkie to mature sometimes longer, as long as they don't have any DQ I Hang on to them and see how they turn out

Morgan's_Silkie_Parade :

Smoky73 wow looking at your website pics of your white silkies makes me depressed lol
how i wish to have some like that.... but being a college student, i cant afford to make that finacial leap yet. Ugh tuition you are killing me.

You are doing the right thing, Morgan! I don't know of anyone who makes a living with their silkies!!
big_smile.png
Finish college, become gainfully employed and you can work your way right up to the best silkies money can buy.

Your pullet/hen (don't know how old) is a nice little girl. With some good nutrition and TLC (like a nice warm bath and blow dry) she will become even better.

Oops...missed the page with the bathing pics!

Edited to add that generally silkies will continue to improve with age. Even her crest can be a bit larger after moulting and feathering back in.​

Last edited by a moderator:
New Egg here! All your silkies look wonderful, although I am no expert, but your's does look more like a silkie should! I was wondering if anyone on this site can help me with the colors that my silkies are. Any opinion would be great!
tongue.png

69730_pa094266.jpg

69730_pa094262.jpg

69730_pa094270.jpg

As far as your Silkie filling out, here are a couple of pics of one of my hens.

This is Runner at 2 1/2 months
8b6e2a47.jpg

And at 14 months. She is a dirty girl
smile.png

IMG_1799.jpg

She really does look good for 5 mos. She has the potential to be a show bird, but I must warn you- competition is VERY stiff in the whites (at the big shows, at least). She may win at a smaller show, who knows? Smoky73 has worked long & hard to get hers the way they are. Start with the best you can, breed up (for better quality), work hard, breed lots, cull hard, and in time people will be drooling over your birds.
wink.png

Thanks everyone, I guess im just REALLY getting worked up lol but ive always wanted to be able to breed silkies and improve breeds and things,

hmm.png
Oh what kinda food should I put her on? Ive been told game bird food is best cause it’s the only one with animal protein?
idunno.gif

Id say your two are splashes, the other one is a partridge, But im not an expert with partridges. I don’t think it’s a buff tho, I think there is to much black in the under feathers to be buff.
Wow racuda she did fill out quite a bit.
big_smile.png

See I was told by a judge that the whites and the blacks show best. (Eventually I wanna get a few blacks too, but I was gonna start with the whites….)
I don’t know what other colors can show at the big shows….
idunno.gif

And I was told that the partridges and buffs are the hardest to breed to get the correct coloring.
hmm.png

See I thought (was told) the large massive crests are just a big fad and that a lot of judges don’t wanna see them like that, and that if you hold em at eye level you should be able to see their eyes. Because many judges think the big puffy fad is dangerous because they cant see anything.
Not critizing anyone btw, just trying to get awnsers….. Im so confused when it comes to the judging.
idunno.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom