Need Opinions on moving...

Which should we go with? Stay in Duplex or move to House?

• Stay in the duplex where you have Sq. Footage

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Move to the Hosue where you have outdoor space.

• Forget money & Sq. FT and do what will make you happy.

• Total voters

kelseygirl707

Dances with Chickens
10 Years
Mar 3, 2009
Lakeport, Ca.
Hey Guys, I could really use some opinions here.

Right now we live in a very nice 3 bedroom 2.5 bath 1600 SQ Ft. duplex, with no real yard, just a about 400 sq ft gravel area in the back. The place is very nice, but we hate the stairs, and we really only use the upstairs when we go to bed, and the downstairs gets cluttered because we don't like carting things up and down the stairs. And we can't keep chickens here, so our plan was to build the coop on my inlaws property. And there is no real privacy, since it's a duplex and right across the driveway is another douplex that mirrors ours.

Rent is $900 per month
Propane is about $240 per month
Electricity is ranges $60-$130 depending on how many brooders and incubators are running.
Water is about $110 a month.

Now, we have the option of moving into a House that is 1000 Sq feet on 5 acres. It has 2 Bedrooms, 1 bath, and a Sunroom. It's brand new, the kitchen is huge and is great room style with the living room. We can have chickens, we would be living out in the country just down the street from my work, it is private surrounded by BEAUTIFUL oaks and wild life,

Rent is $1000
Propane should be cheaper as we have a lot less space to heat and no upstairs where the heat collects.
Electricity should also be cheaper as it's less space to cool in the summer, and below all those oaks we should stay fairly cool.
Water there is Well, so no water bill.

We really like the new house, and like the idea of all the pro's that go with it, our only issue that we are having is paying $100 more rent per month for a house that is 600 Sq ft less than ours. But we don't use all the space we have now, and with a baby coming next month, the idea of the stairs was not appealing to me. Also the new house should be easier for me to keep on top of, and the great room style kitchen and living room will be great once the baby starts being mobile, as I can close the bedroom and bathroom doors and be able to keep an eye on him very easily.

So What do you think? Should we do what we really want an not think about the fact that the rent is a little more. I mean it does balance out because of the cheaper utilities. But we also will have a lot less sq footage, but more property with the ability to keep our chickens.

Last edited:
Did you measure your duplex?

Cause that size may include your stairs and that is not really living space, but it is interior space.....

If you think you hate stairs now, just wait til the baby is born, starts to crawl etc.

Go for the house, lots of out door space too!

Last edited:
I'm with the other 100%
tongue.png
! Because its not just about the actual total SQ ft you have.. its about the usability of those ft and convenience of those areas. Plus I have an odd, but very set, opinion that babies should be raised where theres lots of trees and fresh air.. and mommas should feel comfortable and private... maybe its some kind of instinctual nesting?
roll.png
jumpy.gif
hugs.gif
And like you said.. the money evens out
big_smile.png

Quote:
I know I am, I've always hated making decisions. We both want to do the house, we just feel silly paying more for less space, but I guess we have to think that A house is an upgrade from a duplex. Privacy is an luxury, and the outdoor space is both. Also keeping my chickens on my own property, and getting to have my roo is a major pro!

Quote:
I know I am, I've always hated making decisions. We both want to do the house, we just feel silly paying more for less space, but I guess we have to think that A house is an upgrade from a duplex. Privacy is an luxury, and the outdoor space is both. Also keeping my chickens on my own property, and getting to have my roo is a major pro!

So what is your question? LOL! Just do it. You will be happier in the end.

If your worried about not having a guest room, let your guests borrow a tent!

You are paying the same thing, just trading indoor space for outdoor space and privacy

Quote:

thumbsup.gif

Quote:

I know I know! I just need validation like you said. After talking to my mom tonight, we are pretty much set on moving, just wanted to see what others thought.

Quote:
Don't even have to worry about that, My Inlaws live down the street and have two guest appartments. Also plan to keep a guest bed in the baby's room for now. Also the Sunroom can have a twin or bunk beds, it's long and narrow. Just felt funny going from 1600 sq. feet to 1000 sq feet, but we really don't need all the space anyway.

Back
Top Bottom