Need prayers for my birds lost in mail system 3+ days~ UPDATE! 88 hours in, they're here, ALIVE!!!

ChooksChick

BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist
15 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Larry, KS
My Coop
My Coop
I ship and receive birds often- mostly ship.

For the first time, I'm having issues with a live shipment containing 4 Silkied Ameraucana hens, arguably one of the rarest chickens in existence. They've misplaced a box with four adult hens. RARE hens. I had 2 boxes shipped from California at the same time, one to Texas arrived without any issues...but my box has disappeared.

It still says it's in the original sorting facility. I've called all over the earth and can't get anyone to really help and not pass the buck, except one gal I'm on hold with right now at FedEx, because apparently the problem occurred at the handoff to the FedEx subcontract carrier from the USPS hub. I'm sooooo distraught. These were guaranteed for noon on Wednesday. I'm not sure if they'll make it alive...certainly not if they don't get water soon.

Pray for my birdies??

The USPS tracking number is only scanned and used in the USPS system. When they hand them off to FedEx (subcontracted for all air freight) they are supposed to be assigned a separate number for use only in the FedEx system, then they resume tracking with the USPS number when they hit the receiving hub in the USPS system. Unfortunately, this box either is sitting in the USPS sorting facility and no one knows it, or they were picked up by FedEx and no corresponding FedEx tracking number was ever assigned so there's no manifest reflecting their existence. Seriously beside myself. This one lady has been helping me and calling offices from FedEx Corporate for...1:29:37 according to my phone. She has devoted an hour and a half while everyone else so far has taken scant info and not bothered to call me back. I wish I'd gotten her two days ago.They can't even find anyone who remembers them...even though there was another box of them that went at the same time in a different direction.

Last edited:
fl.gif

Wait a minute... Have you ever dealt with this seller before? I want to tell you what happEned to me last year. I bought something from amazon.com for my son for Christmas. It was 3 weeks before 12-25. After 14 days I noticed that the package hadn't moved. I called fed ex and after talking to a few people who had no idea, I got a woman who told me that the shipper/seller takes a label to USPS or has an in-house postal meter, and that it's possible the item never shipped. I waited another 2 days for the package to move, then asked amazon to refund my money. I went back to the seller rating, and it appears I am not the first person that happened to. I'm just glad amazon backs all it's sales.

Now, I hope you haven't been taken advantage of, and I hope your birds haven't died, but your story sounded familiar so I wanted to make you aware of the possibility.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Wait a minute... Have you ever dealt with this seller before? I want to tell you what happEned to me last year. I bought something from amazon.com for my son for Christmas. It was 3 weeks before 12-25. After 14 days I noticed that the package hadn't moved. I called fed ex and after talking to a few people who had no idea, I got a woman who told me that the shipper/seller takes a label to USPS or has an in-house postal meter, and that it's possible the item never shipped. I waited another 2 days for the package to move, then asked amazon to refund my money. I went back to the seller rating, and it appears I am not the first person that happened to. I'm just glad amazon backs all it's sales.
Now, I hope you haven't been taken advantage of, and I hope your birds haven't died, but your story sounded familiar so I wanted to make you aware of the possibility.
Good luck, and keep us posted.

Thank you- yes, odd things happen and sometimes we can be led astray, however this is a fine member here on BYC who has as much interest as in the birds being with me as I have- she's got to take a few years off of birds and these singular birds being in my hands will give her an entry back into the breed when she is ready. It's an adoption more than a sale. That being said, I had her ship a pair to a Texas recipient the same day and those had the precise identical tracking info until they split up at this hub in Camarillo/Santa Clarita, and mine didn't move from there in the tracking system, while hers arrived in short order. I'm devastated.

No word, and the facility is not looking beyond their walls.

I've had them tracked the humans they should have encountered from where they should have arrived backwards...to see if they ever got anywhere else. No one has heard a word, and no one has any record they left the facility. I'm wondering if they didn't leave in someone's car
roll.png

In 45 minutes they will hit another possible arrival time. If they don't hit that and I don't get a call by 5 a.m., I'll know they are gone. That will be the last possible Express arrival prior to the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday and weekend shut down, and they'll have been out of human care for too long to have survived. No way they could go that long without food and water. I am still praying.

How horrible this is the kind of nightmare that keeps repeating. I used to raise show dogs and it sounds like some of the "adventures" I had with various airlines. I truly know the agony you are going through. Hope it works out. Please let us know as soon as you have any news.

Back
Top Bottom