Need Quick Advice

Aunt Angus

🐓+🦆+🐐=🎪
5 Years
Jul 16, 2018
Nevada County, CA
Too long a story to recount here, but...

I'm picking up two rescue hens tomorrow. They will be tested and quarantined far from my current flock (I've posted the story elsewhere). I will practice best biosecurity I can goven the situation. I need quick, temporary housing advice.

Here are the options:

1) Buy something for them quickly.

2) Try to predator proof my brooder, which is a large cage (3x4) for small animals.

3) Put windows and hardware cloth on old dog house (2×3).

4) Do something else entirely that I haven't thought of but you'll suggest. ;)

They will have access to a small run during the day.

What should I do? Thanks!

When we quarantine hens we usually keep them in a really large dog crate we use to transport lambs and give them access to a separate run during the day. This has worked really well for me so far! Best of luck

When we quarantine hens we usually keep them in a really large dog crate we use to transport lambs and give them access to a separate run during the day. This has worked really well for me so far! Best of luck
Good idea. This is an option. I'd worry about predators, though. Do you modify it at all?

Good idea. This is an option. I'd worry about predators, though. Do you modify it at all?
Our biggest predators where I live are raccoons and the occasional mink, thankfully the closing and opening mechanism on the crate is fairly difficult for me to open, much less a raccoon haha. We usually bring them into the barn in the crate, just to be on the safe side though.

Auntangus,
I have actually seen worse I’m afraid than housing the two hens in a large dog crate at night for a safe coop. It doesn’t sound so bad if it keeps them safe from storms and rain and predators with mobile thumbs which can pick locks. If they are going to have access to the small run during the day I don’t think your rescue situation is so bad. It’s probably quite good compared to what they had before. They will also have a much better one I am sure when their quarantine period is over. It is only temporary - look at it that way and no one will judge you harshly for keeping them safe and sound. I know I never would. I praise you for taking them in and good luck with them and thank you.
Pam.

Auntangus,
I have actually seen worse I’m afraid than housing the two hens in a large dog crate at night for a safe coop. It doesn’t sound so bad if it keeps them safe from storms and rain and predators with mobile thumbs which can pick locks. If they are going to have access to the small run during the day I don’t think your rescue situation is so bad. It’s probably quite good compared to what they had before. They will also have a much better one I am sure when their quarantine period is over. It is only temporary - look at it that way and no one will judge you harshly for keeping them safe and sound. I know I never would. I praise you for taking them in and good luck with them and thank you.
Pam.
Thanks. I'm starting on the dog house now. And I'm going to put it on a garden wagon, so it will be raised up and on wheels. I can probably wheel them into the shed at night if I'm super concerned about predators. I'll post pics so y'all can critique/make suggestions.

Here's what I've done so far:

My mom and I cleaned out a big storage bench. I'm going to cut holes and cover with hardware cloth. And add more ventilation by propping up the lid and covering the opening with hardware cloth.
20200604_141002.jpg

We're going to fashion a run with 2 big ol dog crates end to end. But they'll get out daily. And I'll put perches/roosts in both the crate and the storage bench coop.
20200604_140925.jpg

We only really get hawks, so this will be under an elevated tarp. I worry about rats and raccoons at night, so they will be closed in the storage bench at night.

I think you will have a fine setup for just a few weeks with nothing to worry about. I have my 9 prize new baby chicks which I paid a pretty penny for due to their breeds and the demand for chickens right now being so high because of the pandemic. I wanted heat tolerant breeds and one specific breed also and it took them forever. I have mine in the very same size kennel but because they can fit through the holes and fly or crawl through when they want to get to their “Mom” I have had to “chicken wire“ the entire thing. But they have room to do all the practice flights enough for their entire life until they go out into the real coop so I know two full grown hens will be more than happy to put around for two weeks. Mine do ancient fossil digs and have excavation parties for 9 to China and Peru by way of Mississippi and reclaim lost cities of Egypt on the way to Thailand while they are digging for India. They have a time. I’m going to find chicken ——— t and wood shavings inside my clothes for years since they are in my laundry room even though they are across the room from my clothes.
But seriously I think you are doing such a great thing in rescuing and they will have a great setup.
Pam

Here's what we did for them. I added windows and a door to the storage bench. Took off the lid and put hardware cloth across the top. For shade and at night, we just prop the lid up on bricks.

This is an area behind a shed. We used 2 old closet doors to make partitions to keep them away from my OGs (Original Girls).

We covered the whole area with shade cloth. It's partly patio pavers and partly dirt. The potted plants are bamboo.

20200606_171915.jpg
20200606_171929.jpg
20200606_172251.jpg

Back
Top Bottom