Need Rottweiler Advice

DrakeMom

Songster
5 Years
Mar 20, 2019
El Campo, Texas
Hi y'all! I'm getting a Rottweiler puppy soon... its a little girl. I have a 11 yr old Boxer. I've never had a Rottweiler though and want advice from people who have experience with the breed. My boxer is very well trained and I trust him with all my animals(cats, bunnies, chickens, ducks). I leave even my rabbits alone with him and he won't so much as touch them. We never had to do much training with him on that, it seems that he instinctively knows. How much training will my puppy need?

Here's some pics of her🥰
20201103_155401.jpg
20201105_085346.jpg
20201105_085337.jpg

Lots of great advice here!
I don't have any experience with the breed, but I know a lot about training and puppies.
Start training from day one. As soon as she gets settled in start working on training. Make it fun and short. With my yorkie pup we didn't let her have access to any other rooms but the one her pen was in. The only time she was out of the pen we were playing with her to wear her out, or training. The only time she was in the pen was when she was sleeping or someone couldn't watch her right then.
This ment she was never unsupervised so she could pee, chew, or get hurt around the house.
It's always better to prevent problems then to let the dog do whatever they want and get in trouble.

As she got older she would be calm enough to be put of the pen and relax.
Baby gates work well to keep them from going into other rooms.

Socialization is so so important. I wish I would have socialized my dog more.
Be sure she sees lots if dogs of all colors and sizes. And often too. Like every other day if possible. On walks, as well as puppy playdate. People too. Petco offers a puppy playpen sorta thing on the weekends. They pair them up based on size and temperament.
They also have amazing training classes.
If you want to have her be a therapy dog or something, you have to go through these classes. A lot of places will do it but petco had the best deal.
They also get socialization during class.

Leave it is the most important, especially if you have small pets.
Be sure to only use leave it on things you dont want her to ever touch. Some people say leave it when setting their food bowl down. If you intend for them to eat it, that means its okay for them to eat anything you tell them to leave. Instead use wait for these things.

And remember, things that may seem cute as a puppy will become annoying as an adult.
Things such as jumping, biting, barking, or getting on couches or beds (if you won't allow that), shouldn't be tolerated as a puppy.

I recommend watching Zak George's Dog Training Revolution on YouTube. He also has two great books. He has everything from choosing a breed, bringing your pup home, puppy training, to teaching advanced tricks, as well as fixing behavioral issues.
It's Me or The Dog on YouTube has videos on fixing behavioral problems. She goes to people houses and re-trains their dog.

No shock collars, no prongs, no harsh discipline, and it works great. Positive training always works better.

Thank y'all that have replied!! @RainbowHen Over a year ago I wanted to get a male Rottie and thought Nitro would be a cool name. A month ago I suddenly got a job at a coffee shop! There, I have saved enough money to get a puppy and then knew I had to name the puppy Nitro for real! Hence the nitro cold brew. And anyone one that has had nitro cold brew knows the name fits a Rottie!!😂 And my friend from Kansas happened to have a litter of puppies then and I decided upon a little girl😁 (her family raises Rottweilers)

How awesome! Love the name!

My aunt had one. He was 120 lbs, and would hide behind her for protection from a tree frog.

Cutest thing ever.

This made me snort my coffee 🤣 Love the mental image!

Thank y'all that have replied!! @RainbowHen Over a year ago I wanted to get a male Rottie and thought Nitro would be a cool name. A month ago I suddenly got a job at a coffee shop! There, I have saved enough money to get a puppy and then knew I had to name the puppy Nitro for real! Hence the nitro cold brew. And anyone one that has had nitro cold brew knows the name fits a Rottie!!😂 And my friend from Kansas happened to have a litter of puppies then and I decided upon a little girl😁 (her family raises Rottweilers)

Thanks so much @EverythingDucks ! That makes alot of sense! I love "It's Me or the Dog"! It's a great show😍 I used the no touch command on my Boxer when I got my bunnies. I've thought alot about training and even down to putting my hand in her bowl while she eats so she doesn't because possessive over her food. I've heard female are easier to train than males too. She's gonna be an outside dog so thankfully I don't have to house train her! And before y'all get worried, our backyard is fully fenced and HUGE😁

Back
Top Bottom