Need saddle recommendations for bullied hen!

bibzybean

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 22, 2019
We recently rescued some egg farm hens, one of which was totally bald on the back. After they settled in and moulted, the feathers started to grow back, but it wasn't long before the rest of the girls started plucking at the bald one again, and now she looks just as bald as ever. I am looking for saddles at the moment, but most online have reviews that say they fall off or don't fit properly, or aren't protective enough. I am UK based, and can't afford to spend too much, does anyone have any recommendations? Thank you

We recently rescued some egg farm hens, one of which was totally bald on the back. After they settled in and moulted, the feathers started to grow back, but it wasn't long before the rest of the girls started plucking at the bald one again, and now she looks just as bald as ever. I am looking for saddles at the moment, but most online have reviews that say they fall off or don't fit properly, or aren't protective enough. I am UK based, and can't afford to spend too much, does anyone have any recommendations? Thank you
Have you tried Etsy? I got some from there and they work beautifully. My girl has been wearing hers for a few weeks now
D6C7D2DB-FD5D-4EA8-9D68-C24ED9BC8C5B.jpeg

After many years of looking after free range chickens I returned to the UK and took on the care of Ex Battery hens. The contrast has been an eye opener.
I have never been a fan of saddles for hens. However, I have a chicken keeping friend who has many years of experience who makes his own saddles out of leather and has had good results using them to protect a couple of his hens from mating damage to their shoulders and lower back.

Quite a few of the Ex battery hens I took on were feather pickers and eaters. But, with a couple, the feather picking was I discovered self inflicted. It is a habit they pick up, possibly to supplement their protein, possibly stress related.

Given you are in the UK finding a higher protein content feed than the standard 16%, in my experience at least, isn't easy, but it can help improve the situation.
Stress reduction can also help so plenty of room in the coop and run is helpfull.

What you do need to be aware of is hen saddles prevent the hen from dust bathing properly and grooming the areas they saddles cover so some time without the saddle during the day is important for hygine and comfort.

I have a thread mainly concerning Ex Battery and rescue chickens which you are welcome to drop into with any questions we may be able to help you with or just to chat about your experiences with your rescued hens.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/shadrachs-ex-battery-and-rescued-chickens-thread.1502267/

With basic sewing skills you can make your own. If you make your own you can tweak the sizing to make them customized for a particular bird if needed. The pattern below fits a standard sized bird well. Below is from one of my older posts, the link to the original is in that:
You can also make your own, free pattern here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/free-chicken-apron-saddle-pattern.424354/#post-5201261
I make my own out of outdoor fabric like sunbrella (gotten on clearance-fabric pattern doesn't really matter) as it holds up well, does not catch on feathers and sheds water well. You can also use denim, or canvas fabrics. Tightly woven fabrics are less likely to catch on pinfeathers when they do come back in. I've attached an image below that shows where I attach the elastic, for most of my birds about a 4.5" piece of elastic on each side works, you may need to adjust bigger or smaller for your particular bird(s). Attach the ends to where the x's are on each side to make a small loop, to slip over the wings.
View attachment 2338798
Another similar pattern here:
https://hellosewing.com/chicken-apron-hen-saddle-pattern/
Use a fabric that won't catch on feathers or new shafts coming in (tightly woven fabric), and despite the ones you see with decorations on them, consider pecking and don't add things that other birds are going to be attracted to. A plain saddle is not usually a bother to other birds. Some chickens will have an adjustment period where they are a bit freaked out by the thing on their back, so watch for that so they don't draw an attack from flock mates. Many of them take it in stride and aren't bothered.

After many years of looking after free range chickens I returned to the UK and took on the care of Ex Battery hens. The contrast has been an eye opener.
I have never been a fan of saddles for hens. However, I have a chicken keeping friend who has many years of experience who makes his own saddles out of leather and has had good results using them to protect a couple of his hens from mating damage to their shoulders and lower back.

Quite a few of the Ex battery hens I took on were feather pickers and eaters. But, with a couple, the feather picking was I discovered self inflicted. It is a habit they pick up, possibly to supplement their protein, possibly stress related.

Given you are in the UK finding a higher protein content feed than the standard 16%, in my experience at least, isn't easy, but it can help improve the situation.
Stress reduction can also help so plenty of room in the coop and run is helpfull.

What you do need to be aware of is hen saddles prevent the hen from dust bathing properly and grooming the areas they saddles cover so some time without the saddle during the day is important for hygine and comfort.

I have a thread mainly concerning Ex Battery and rescue chickens which you are welcome to drop into with any questions we may be able to help you with or just to chat about your experiences with your rescued hens.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/shadrachs-ex-battery-and-rescued-chickens-thread.1502267/
Thank you! I will look into increasing her protein and seeing if it is more herself or her sisters plucking her feathers

With basic sewing skills you can make your own. If you make your own you can tweak the sizing to make them customized for a particular bird if needed. The pattern below fits a standard sized bird well. Below is from one of my older posts, the link to the original is in that:

Another similar pattern here:
https://hellosewing.com/chicken-apron-hen-saddle-pattern/
Use a fabric that won't catch on feathers or new shafts coming in (tightly woven fabric), and despite the ones you see with decorations on them, consider pecking and don't add things that other birds are going to be attracted to. A plain saddle is not usually a bother to other birds. Some chickens will have an adjustment period where they are a bit freaked out by the thing on their back, so watch for that so they don't draw an attack from flock mates. Many of them take it in stride and aren't bothered.
Thank you!

I found mine on Etsy as well similar pattern as the yellow one someone posted but they underlined it with a light denim to prevent penetration as well and they have been working… it depends on the size of your hen as well… and if they need that collar (idk what’s called) to help protect the tops of the wings…. I also had one hen that the type of strap used really irritated her skin. So I think it’s really experimenting to see what you need. And they usually aren’t too expensive. Hope this helps. As I’m still currently trying to figure out mine too LOL.

that looks lovely! do you have the link to the product or the shop?
https://www.etsy.com/shop/REScrafts I’m very pleased with the quality. The elastic is perfect, not too long or short. The saddle stays in place and it’s light weight so hopefully the hen doesn’t overheat before I can remove it. She looks so cute, like she’s wearing a little dress lol. Once it’s on their feathers regrow fairly quickly.

Back
Top Bottom