Need some advice about my neighbors

I know everyone will have different experiences.My ways of dealing with neighbors comes after a few times of talking to neighbors about various issues.

You know the* friendly chat * sort of thing.Some things I dealt with were property lines,cats using the soil around my house as a toilet,dogs barking,loud music,fireworks shot into yard and on roof,shooting guns and arrows in yard,and roaming/attacking dogs.

I was always very careful about how I addressed the issue with each neighbor.Never ranting.Each time I tried a different way of approach,because no matter what the neighbor got very angry. The situation not only continued but often got worse.In fact in most cases the neighbor never talked to us again,or harassed us.Now I just let someone else handle it whether that is the law or another neighbor confronting them.

Life is hard enough without having to deal with a NFH 24/7. Just be cautious whatever you do.People who do things without a care for others rarely show concern when you let them know it is causing you issues.

Last edited:
I'm following this thread with interest because my neighborhood sounds like a kennel, day and night. I keep my mouth shut because the HOA doesn't allow chickens and although I don't have a rooster, we all know how loud the egg song can get! Still, that goes on for a few minutes each day, and never at night--a far cry from the constant barking of neglected dogs. Anyway, I hope someone can answer a question that has long puzzled me: what is the point of having a dog if it is penned or chained up outside all the time? Obviously nobody is interacting with the dog or it wouldn't be barking, so if the family is not enjoying the dog's company, why have it?

I know everyone will have different experiences.My ways of dealing with neighbors comes after a few times of talking to neighbors about various issues.

You know the* friendly chat * sort of thing.Some things I dealt with were property lines,cats using the soil around my house as a toilet,dogs barking,loud music,fireworks shot into yard and on roof,shooting guns and arrows in yard,and roaming/attacking dogs.

I was always very careful about how I addressed the issue with each neighbor.Never ranting.Each time I tried a different way of approach,because no matter what the neighbor got very angry. The situation not only continued but often got worse.In fact in most cases the neighbor never talked to us again,or harassed us.Now I just let someone else handle it whether that is the law or another neighbor confronting them.

Life is hard enough without having to deal with a NFH 24/7. Just be cautious whatever you do.People who do things without a care for others rarely show concern when you let them know it is causing you issues.

Indeed. Good sound advise. Seems that people today are less respectful of others.

Barking dogs are subject to noise ordinances in the country. I suggest you ask them to use bark collars or do what my MIL does... turn them loose.

Actually since I noticed you're in Oregon, if the dog is a working Livestock Guardian Dog, it won't fall under the laws of noise ordinances.. Here in Oregon a case was taken to the State Supreme Court and the Court ruled that any dog working to protect livestock will not fall under the barking dog laws. I checked this out thoroughly before I purchased my livestock dog even though my neighbors are not close to my house my pasture does get close to theirs and I didn't want his barking to be a problem.

So check your local laws, ask your neighbor if her dogs are pets or actually preforming a duty, and go from there. Good Luck!

Interesting thread. Since your question is how to talk to the neighbors, why not just go over and say something about the poor dogs and won't they be happy when their fence is completed! Maybe they are just waiting for a fencing company.

Quote: A LGD that is trained to do it's job, will not bark all the time. I know for sure that my Komondork never barked unless there was a reason. It didn't hurt that one of our boys slept next to the bed either. lol A working LGD wouldn't be chained up either. The occasional barking shouldn't be a problem. It wouldn't bother me if I knew the dog was doing it's job right. Dogs that bark for hours on end are very unhappy dogs.

I will say that anonymous letters from neighbors have always hurt my feelings. I would rather know in person, that there is a problem. I have always tried to be reasonable about responding to another person's concern. I will admit though, that sometime the other person's request has been to obscure for me to get it at the time. I have also found that there are plenty of people that are looking to be offend by anything. So I try to be understanding about another persons fear of offending a neighbor.

Justbugged,.. when i called and asked a breeder of Great Pyr guardian dogs, about HOW they actually protected the livestock..... she told me that what their "job" is is to "deter" things from entering their property...
So what they do is patrol the property and give warning barks often to keep intruders/predators away from their herd..
Not sure if thats true or not.. just what she told me. So maybe different breeds guard their livestock/property different ways..?

Back
Top Bottom