Need some advice on coops!!

Renee572

Songster
5 Years
Apr 11, 2014
We are going to be building our own coop so that it can be the way that we want it to be. We are new to raising chickens and I am not quite sure about a few things as far as the coop goes. We would like to make something like this....

The only thing is that I am wondering if it really needs an enclosed area such as this....

where the nesting boxes would go and so that the chickens can have a place to go to get away from any bad weather (wind and rain). We live in Arizona so it doesn't get very cold here but we do have some horrible dust storms at times especially during the summer. I just want to make the chickens what they need and I am not quite sure that the top picture would be sufficient for them.

Our chicks are only 2 weeks old but I know we need to get moving on the coop because they will be ready for it before too long!

I think I may have many, many more questions over the next few weeks and months.

Oops I just realized I posted this in the wrong section but I cannot figure out if there is a way to delete or move it from here!! If anyone knows then please let me know otherwise I guess I just have to leave it here.

Last edited:
Something to consider is shade. Chickens can handle the wind, dust and rain, far better than they can deal with the heat. You might consider a three sided coop, similar to the upper picture, but shorter with more roof area. The bottom picture is nice looking, but come July, your chickens will spend all day under the coop portion.
I have two coops. The run on one of them has a roof, covering about 2/3 of it. The second, I decided to run 80% shade cloth over it, instead. 80% still isn't dark enough. The chickens stay in the shadow of the coop, all day long. When they free range, the run from shady spot, to shady spot.

Thanks azelgin! I think I know what we will do then. I just didn't want to make something and then realize the chickens needed something different. I am so excited to get started on the coop.

Back
Top Bottom