Need some advice on White Chinese Gooslings

Whispering Winds

Songster
11 Years
Jan 14, 2009
Bond County, Illinois
I have 6, one boy and 5 little girls. . .they are taller than the bathtub, and are in the molting stage, so the lady at the store told me but they have very little white feathers, just the yellow down. I am getting the fence and shed set up within the next week or so, but when can they go out in their new home, with a heat lamp of course. . .it will be secure and safe, but I don't want to move them out too soon. They are so sweet and love to talk to me when I feed and clean their area. The expression "squirt like a goose" really is true, isn't it?
roll.png
lol.png

I was wondering when I'd be able to put my two new goslings outside as well! Mine are only about a week old though. We are still getting below 30 degrees F at night so is a heat lamp enough? How old should they be before they leave a brooder?
TIA!

I was wondering when I'd be able to put my two new goslings outside as well! Mine are only about a week old though. We are still getting below 30 degrees F at night so is a heat lamp enough? How old should they be before they leave a brooder?
TIA!

Hi! Week-old goslings are very dependent on the goose for heat, but she´ll still be grazing with them, then they´ll all get under her to warm up, especially when it´s cold. so, if you would like to, you could always take them out on grass for a few minutes, then bring them back in again to warm up. Don´t overdo, it, though, you don´t want to chill them.
Is your heat lamp infra-red? That´ll be fine.
As regards the brooder, you´ll have to let someone else who uses one to answer that one.
With mine, they´ll have a lamp a lot of the time for at least a couple of weeks, but then I live in the tropics and it gets down to freezing at night just a few times during the 'winter', unlike your weather.
Most important is not to let them get wet (like swimming) when they´re out in the cold, as that´ll chill them very quickly.

Awesome, thanks! I'll keep them inside for a while. It'll give me time to figure out their outside living situation. I was going to just split the chicken area but now I'm thinking they could have their own little area near a pond... :) Love it.

Back
Top Bottom