Need some advise for training my new puppy

gpamela3499

Songster
10 Years
Feb 26, 2009
Catawba NC
I have a 2month old cattle dog puppy. I want to start the training early to keep from having to undo the bad habits later. First what should we do about the biting (it is done when he plays) Currently when he does this I hold his mussel lightly and say "no biting" then try to redirect him to the chew toy. This works sometimes. Sometimes I try to play with him with the fussy chew animal thing. Is it ok to pretend growl and shake his head gentle back and forth like a tug of war? Or will that encourage more aggressive play? Sometimes I think he is sleepy and put him in his crate where he sleeps and where I keep his raw hide thing. Are these appropriate methods? We got him Monday so I do not have a lot of reading done yet? Here is a picture I just took. They are not very good and I know that we can get better later.

Last edited:
Oh, I hope you have LOTS of energy because your puppy certainly will have for years to come.
I adopted a 7 month old cattle dog about 3 months ago. I have heard that they just start slowing down a little around 3 years old.
I would not play tug of war with him. Teaching him to retrieve his toys would be better. And might wear him down a little too.
What I have done with other breeds of pups for hand biting is to keep my fingers or hand in the mouth and make it feel uncomfortable to them. Not to hurt but to keep it in there longer then they want to hold it and make it uncomfortable for your fingers or hand to be in there. Then take your hand away and give him a toy.
These are high energy, incredibly smart working dogs. They REALLY need a job. Get him outside and let him run. Start working on recall right away. It's my personal belief that you can't really teach a puppy to stay with you by dragging it around on a leash. In doing this you are teaching the pup that it is YOUR job to keep track of him.
What you want him to learn is to keep one eye on you so you don't disappear on him. 6-8 weeks is a great age to teach this. Take him to a safe area outside where he can't get onto the street or into trouble. Set him down and stay there for a few minutes while he starts sniffing around. Call to him in a light friendly voice....I usually call, "pup pup pup". And turn your back on him and walk away. If he follows right away then you pet him and tell him good boy. Keep doing this for a few minutes.
He might get distracted and this is when you step out of his line of vision. Maybe behind a tree or garage or whatever. Watch him. It will dawn on him that he is alone and he will start looking for you. Might even whine. Step out and call him to you squatting down and give him a, "Good Boy". After that just let him explore and walk with him.
Do this a couple of times a day. Everyday.
People are amazed when they get one of my pups that the pups stay with them without being tied to them. And that they come so well when called. I learned this years ago watching a neighborhood dog that was always loose. When she had puppies she would roam the neighborhood with them too. The pups learned real quick to stay with mom or they got left behind.
My dog has come a long way since I got him. It was a lot of work at first and I still have days when I think that I just can't handle his energy. But he is an amazing dog and probably the best farm dog I have ever had. He herds 15 goats for me and most of what he does he has learned on his own or was born into him.
The main thing with him was that he had an excellent recall when I got him. If they come when called and don't run off that is a huge part of the training already done.
Enjoy your pup. You have the right idea about not letting any bad habits start.

Congratulations on your ACD puppy; I have a 2 yo ACD and he's a great dog! I know there are some dog trainers who regularly respond here, but in the meantime I'll offer my opinion. When a puppy nips in play, I make a yelp noise and immediately stop the game and ignore the puppy. They learn pretty quick that if they want to play, they have to quit nipping. Also, I try to avoid games that make my hands attractive targets, like roughhousing, vigorous belly rubs etc.
I'm not a fan of tug-of-war games with puppies, but think it's fine when they are a bit older.
Start right now teaching sit, stay/wait and getting use to a leash. Tricks are fun and puppies learn quickly things like shake/paw. Crate training is great and puppies still need frequent naps. Do your reading and have fun!

What's his name and can you post a pic?

My heart just melted when I opened this thread and saw an adorable heeler pup!

Quote: Haha, tell that to our 7 year-old girl!
gig.gif

Quote:
He might get distracted and this is when you step out of his line of vision. Maybe behind a tree or garage or whatever. Watch him. It will dawn on him that he is alone and he will start looking for you. Might even whine. Step out and call him to you squatting down and give him a, "Good Boy". After that just let him explore and walk with him.
Skye has great advice here. We did similar things with our ACD, and it worked wonderfully. The breed tends to stick close to their owners, but reinforcing this can help eliminate any wandering when distracted, or running off.

Last edited:
I think he is like any baby he has his day and night mixed up. I really can not get him to play all day and now at 10 pm he wants to play. LOL He seems to really laid back and not really active. Is this because he is a puppy?

I would try to keep my hand in his mouth or tell the children to but his teeth are like razors. They are sharp like a kittens but he has a bigger mouth that is strong. I will not play tug with him until next year then.
He does not really run in the back yard although we encourage him to. He just walks back to the door and lays down. (because he is a baby?) I was told not to start leash walks until he is 4 months old but we take him to the yard many times a day for potty.
We live in the city so we are totally prepared to deal with Yuma's training needs in suburbia which are quite different from country. we can not yet take him to the dog park because he needs his first shots. (I heard this is a necessity because ACD can be dog aggressive.)

On the biting, I would try shrieking like he just about killed you. I mean SHRIEK!!! YIIIIIIYIIIII!! Loud and high pitched and as if he really hurt you. This is what littermates do. He should back off, wide eyed and say "wow, I'm really sorry, people lady!"

Looks like he has some beagle in there too. Cute little guy.

How to teach bite inhibition to a puppy:

http://www.shirleychong.com/keepers/archives/bite.txt

http://www.deesdogs.com/documents/teachingbiteinhibition.pdf

http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/teaching-bite-inhibition

Teaching the recall

http://www.redyre.com/the-recall-game/

Do your puppy another big favor, and starting right now, manage his life where it is impossible for him to make a mistake in your house with regard to chewing or countersurfing. NEVER, not for even a SECOND, let him out of your sight in the house. If you cannot pay active attention to the puppy, put him in a crate or an exercise pen with approved toys. Redirect any looking up at countertops or sniffing at trash cans or unapproved chew items. Keep unapproved items picked up and put away. Use baby gates or tether the pup to your belt to keep him with you.

Keep a well stocked toy box, and rotate the toys so that there are always fresh interesting items in it for the pup to chew.

http://www.redyre.com/why-your-puppy-needs-a-toybox/

For house training, go out with the puppy each time he goes outdoors to eliminate. Take tiny bits of very tasty treats with you every time. Each time the puppy squats to pee, or poop, use a cue word. Whatever you choose to use. Say this cue word ONLY WHILE THE PUPPY IS ACTUALLY GOING. As soon as he is done, praise, and give him several of the tasty treats. Do this every time the puppy eliminates for 2 weeks. After 2 weeks time, most puppies will pee on command, and most are getting the poop part as well.

And finally, make arrangements NOW to get in a puppy training class. Try to start as soon as the pup has his vaccines. No later than 16 weeks. I recommend people go to at least 4 sets of 6 to 8 week puppy classes to ensure a well socialized, trained, and behaved young dog.

Best of luck with your new pal.

Quote:
On the biting, I would try shrieking like he just about killed you. I mean SHRIEK!!! YIIIIIIYIIIII!! Loud and high pitched and as if he really hurt you. This is what littermates do. He should back off, wide eyed and say "wow, I'm really sorry, people lady!"

Yep, that's how we learned to curb the hard biting. We also stop moving completely and go limp when the puppy bites down hard. I believe it's ok for the puppy to bite. They just need to learn how much force they can use. This is really something that they should learn from their sibling but didn't.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom