Need some advise for training my new puppy

gpamela3499

Songster
10 Years
Feb 26, 2009
Catawba NC
I have a 2month old cattle dog puppy. I want to start the training early to keep from having to undo the bad habits later. First what should we do about the biting (it is done when he plays) Currently when he does this I hold his mussel lightly and say "no biting" then try to redirect him to the chew toy. This works sometimes. Sometimes I try to play with him with the fussy chew animal thing. Is it ok to pretend growl and shake his head gentle back and forth like a tug of war? Or will that encourage more aggressive play? Sometimes I think he is sleepy and put him in his crate where he sleeps and where I keep his raw hide thing. Are these appropriate methods? We got him Monday so I do not have a lot of reading done yet? Here is a picture I just took. They are not very good and I know that we can get better later.

Last edited:
On the biting, I would try shrieking like he just about killed you. I mean SHRIEK!!! YIIIIIIYIIIII!! Loud and high pitched and as if he really hurt you. This is what littermates do. He should back off, wide eyed and say "wow, I'm really sorry, people lady!"

Looks like he has some beagle in there too. Cute little guy.

I have to say, I DO play tug with my puppies and dogs. It is the first way I motivate them to bring objects to me. Objects returned to me gets a short game of tug. I vary between releasing the tug and letting the dog return to me to re-engage and solicit me to tug, and taking the toy to toss it again. Yes, I am always in control of the game. I start the game, and I end the game. Yes, my dogs growl and make all kinds of noise when we are playing this game, but in my experience this is not a bad thing. It is a way for a dog to release energy and it builds drive for the dog to return to you and ask you to play tug with objects instead of playing the duck and run game.

also, grabbing his muzzle is going to make the problem WORSE. That's how pups play with each other. So you doing that translates to a fun game of tag. After all, dogs don't have hands they grab things with their teeth.

Try to remember that whatever you say when a puppy is performing a behavior is the name of that behavior to the puppy. This is why you don't say "go potty" unless the pup is going, and also the same reason why you don't say "come here" to the puppy unless he is also doing that. If you do, you are teaching him the WRONG behavior to go with those words. So, don't say DROP IT unless DROP IT is happening at that moment.

Trade for another toy, or a food reward. Say DROP IT when the pup actually drops the toy. You can play tug for a bit, most dogs find this very rewarding, and then let go, and let him come back, and play tug for another second, then offer the treat or a different toy, and say drop it AS he actually drops the toy.

Oh, I hope you have LOTS of energy because your puppy certainly will have for years to come.
I adopted a 7 month old cattle dog about 3 months ago. I have heard that they just start slowing down a little around 3 years old.
I would not play tug of war with him. Teaching him to retrieve his toys would be better. And might wear him down a little too.
What I have done with other breeds of pups for hand biting is to keep my fingers or hand in the mouth and make it feel uncomfortable to them. Not to hurt but to keep it in there longer then they want to hold it and make it uncomfortable for your fingers or hand to be in there. Then take your hand away and give him a toy.
These are high energy, incredibly smart working dogs. They REALLY need a job. Get him outside and let him run. Start working on recall right away. It's my personal belief that you can't really teach a puppy to stay with you by dragging it around on a leash. In doing this you are teaching the pup that it is YOUR job to keep track of him.
What you want him to learn is to keep one eye on you so you don't disappear on him. 6-8 weeks is a great age to teach this. Take him to a safe area outside where he can't get onto the street or into trouble. Set him down and stay there for a few minutes while he starts sniffing around. Call to him in a light friendly voice....I usually call, "pup pup pup". And turn your back on him and walk away. If he follows right away then you pet him and tell him good boy. Keep doing this for a few minutes.
He might get distracted and this is when you step out of his line of vision. Maybe behind a tree or garage or whatever. Watch him. It will dawn on him that he is alone and he will start looking for you. Might even whine. Step out and call him to you squatting down and give him a, "Good Boy". After that just let him explore and walk with him.
Do this a couple of times a day. Everyday.
People are amazed when they get one of my pups that the pups stay with them without being tied to them. And that they come so well when called. I learned this years ago watching a neighborhood dog that was always loose. When she had puppies she would roam the neighborhood with them too. The pups learned real quick to stay with mom or they got left behind.
My dog has come a long way since I got him. It was a lot of work at first and I still have days when I think that I just can't handle his energy. But he is an amazing dog and probably the best farm dog I have ever had. He herds 15 goats for me and most of what he does he has learned on his own or was born into him.
The main thing with him was that he had an excellent recall when I got him. If they come when called and don't run off that is a huge part of the training already done.
Enjoy your pup. You have the right idea about not letting any bad habits start.

Congratulations on your ACD puppy; I have a 2 yo ACD and he's a great dog! I know there are some dog trainers who regularly respond here, but in the meantime I'll offer my opinion. When a puppy nips in play, I make a yelp noise and immediately stop the game and ignore the puppy. They learn pretty quick that if they want to play, they have to quit nipping. Also, I try to avoid games that make my hands attractive targets, like roughhousing, vigorous belly rubs etc.
I'm not a fan of tug-of-war games with puppies, but think it's fine when they are a bit older.
Start right now teaching sit, stay/wait and getting use to a leash. Tricks are fun and puppies learn quickly things like shake/paw. Crate training is great and puppies still need frequent naps. Do your reading and have fun!

What's his name and can you post a pic?

My heart just melted when I opened this thread and saw an adorable heeler pup!

Quote: Haha, tell that to our 7 year-old girl!
gig.gif

Quote:
He might get distracted and this is when you step out of his line of vision. Maybe behind a tree or garage or whatever. Watch him. It will dawn on him that he is alone and he will start looking for you. Might even whine. Step out and call him to you squatting down and give him a, "Good Boy". After that just let him explore and walk with him.
Skye has great advice here. We did similar things with our ACD, and it worked wonderfully. The breed tends to stick close to their owners, but reinforcing this can help eliminate any wandering when distracted, or running off.

Last edited:
I think he is like any baby he has his day and night mixed up. I really can not get him to play all day and now at 10 pm he wants to play. LOL He seems to really laid back and not really active. Is this because he is a puppy?

Back
Top Bottom