Need some advise for training my new puppy

Thank you very much. Yes I see now that I do need to watch Yuma constantly. I have an 18 month old son that I must already do this with. You know if I must take a shower I put him in a safe place with toys until I can give him my attention. Sometimes my son cries and sometimes Yuma cries but I know that they are safe. (not eating garbage, messing with electrical cords, etc) He does not like his crate but I put him in it for safety and puppy naps. We are stopping the tug o war games he loves it and growls and bits and pulls buut it is a simple adjustment to the game to fetch and we are teaching Yuma to drop the toy rather than growl and pull. He is a genius dog. He learns so fast.
I always go out with him to potty and we have had only a few accidents. I set the alarm at night I take him out at 9, midnight, 3:30, and 6. Just like I had to do for feedings for my son a year and a half ago. I do not understand why people find they can not handle a puppy and a baby when if they both take the same type of work and attention. It is kinda like twins or having a day care.

Last edited:
I have to say, I DO play tug with my puppies and dogs. It is the first way I motivate them to bring objects to me. Objects returned to me gets a short game of tug. I vary between releasing the tug and letting the dog return to me to re-engage and solicit me to tug, and taking the toy to toss it again. Yes, I am always in control of the game. I start the game, and I end the game. Yes, my dogs growl and make all kinds of noise when we are playing this game, but in my experience this is not a bad thing. It is a way for a dog to release energy and it builds drive for the dog to return to you and ask you to play tug with objects instead of playing the duck and run game.

also, grabbing his muzzle is going to make the problem WORSE. That's how pups play with each other. So you doing that translates to a fun game of tag. After all, dogs don't have hands they grab things with their teeth.

On the biting, I would try shrieking like he just about killed you. I mean SHRIEK!!! YIIIIIIYIIIII!! Loud and high pitched and as if he really hurt you. This is what littermates do. He should back off, wide eyed and say "wow, I'm really sorry, people lady!"

Looks like he has some beagle in there too. Cute little guy.

X2. That's how we do it here too...be a BIG drama queen when he does it...loud/high pitched OWWWW NO BITE
and then distract him by putting a dog toy in his mouth and let him chew on that..

also, grabbing his muzzle is going to make the problem WORSE. That's how pups play with each other. So you doing that translates to a fun game of tag. After all, dogs don't have hands they grab things with their teeth.

Do you mean it will make the biting problem worse? What translates into a game of tag, the game of fetch, tug o war, or putting my hand on his muzzle and saying "no biting".
I know that dogs don't have hands but ACD are known to be bite/nippers and I do not want to allow this behavior to become too pronounced but channeled into appropriate play.

Quote:
Do you mean it will make the biting problem worse?

I know you directed this to dainerra but, I had a similar thought so, I'll chime in and try to help.

It's all about communicating though a language that the dog understands. Grabbing his muzzle doesn't mean "Ow you hurt me don't do it again" to the dog. But, a very similar gesture is often used by dogs to say, "Be quite and keep your mouth shut" to a puppy. The way that dogs tell each other that the play is getting too rough is by yelping and stopping all play for a while. Hence, that's what we should do if you want to communicate to the dog that they are being too rough.

Jim

Quote:

I know you directed this to dainerra but, I had a similar thought so, I'll chime in and try to help.

It's all about communicating though a language that the dog understands. Grabbing his muzzle doesn't mean "Ow you hurt me don't do it again" to the dog. But, a very similar gesture is often used by dogs to say, "Be quite and keep your mouth shut" to a puppy. The way that dogs tell each other that the play is getting too rough is by yelping and stopping all play for a while. Hence, that's what we should do if you want to communicate to the dog that they are being too rough.

Jim

Thank you May son screams and yells when the dog bites him (Not really hurting my 1. 5 yo) and now Yuma does not bite him. Ok so it works. Thank you.What is the best way to make them drop the toy during fetch? Yuma won't let go and he and wants to play and grow when l pull the toy. I have been saying drop it and holding onto the toy. The next session of puppy training starts in 6 weeks I do appreciate all advice

Try to remember that whatever you say when a puppy is performing a behavior is the name of that behavior to the puppy. This is why you don't say "go potty" unless the pup is going, and also the same reason why you don't say "come here" to the puppy unless he is also doing that. If you do, you are teaching him the WRONG behavior to go with those words. So, don't say DROP IT unless DROP IT is happening at that moment.

Trade for another toy, or a food reward. Say DROP IT when the pup actually drops the toy. You can play tug for a bit, most dogs find this very rewarding, and then let go, and let him come back, and play tug for another second, then offer the treat or a different toy, and say drop it AS he actually drops the toy.

Ok I will work on that too. I will be the primary 1st trainer as my son is too young. I would like for the puppy to eventually sleep in his room though but right now it is the crate and it is really helping with the potty training,

This is a great tip.

Try to remember that whatever you say when a puppy is performing a behavior is the name of that behavior to the puppy. This is why you don't say "go potty" unless the pup is going, and also the same reason why you don't say "come here" to the puppy unless he is also doing that. If you do, you are teaching him the WRONG behavior to go with those words. So, don't say DROP IT unless DROP IT is happening at that moment.

Trade for another toy, or a food reward. Say DROP IT when the pup actually drops the toy. You can play tug for a bit, most dogs find this very rewarding, and then let go, and let him come back, and play tug for another second, then offer the treat or a different toy, and say drop it AS he actually drops the toy.

Back
Top Bottom